Prep work for painting helmets

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002 | 08:12 PM
|
Pro Rider

I've decided to have my old Bell Moto 6 helmet painted. I would just like to know the proper procedure of sanding from start to finish.

What grit sandpaper should I use to remove the original clearcoat?

What grit do I need to use for final sanding?

What's the best way to remove the original decals under the clearcoat?

Can I reinstall the rubber around the goggle opening and the neck after it's removed for painting?

Your response is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-09-2002 | 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Grit to remove original clear coat: 800-600 grit works good for this without creating large grooves you'll have to fix later on. Use wet / dry grit, and do it wet. Sand by hand. Yeah it takes a longer time, but you get a better product in the end.

Final Sanding: Step up. ie. 1200, 1400, 1600, etc. Again, hand sand & wet sand.

Removing decals: No magic method here, just time. Sanding works best. There are few chemicals and such, most are more of a pain than they are worth. And they are toxic. Better to sand them off. Again, sand by hand w/ wet sand.

Reinstalling rubber: Yes, you can reinstall the rubber. However, if it's not in bad, bad shape, just mask over the rubber. Reapply the mask in between each sanding. If you do choose to remove and reapply the rubber, take your time when reinstalling, and if you can, buy new. When you remove the old rubber, you might stretch the rubber. Which will make it difficult, if not impossible to reinstall.

On a side note, always wear safety glasses, and a respirator when sanding plastic, and painting. Our bodies are not meant to breathe plastic, and if you don't wear a respirator when painting you'll sneeze "sunsets".

Good luck.

Old 02-09-2002 | 11:12 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks for the quick response f1error. That's the exact info I was looking for. The rubber is in great condition and I really couldn't decide if I should remove it for painting or not. From what you've experienced it sounds like the best step is to just mask it off. Again I appreciate your input.