Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atvs are great for those with a disability

Hope others see this!

Old 05-05-2003, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I was 16 I hit a car on my YZ250 and broke my pelvis, both legs and lost my knee in my right leg(bone infection). I didn't have insurance and was basicly told that they could "fuse" the bones together and give me a strait leg! one big *** bone...no thanks. I'm waiting for a better option or just sticking to the crutches, atleast I can bend my leg to fit in cars and ride!. I'm now 20, I didn't ride for a long time thinking that it was a bad idea but I gave in finally. The Z400 gives me a chance to work out my body some, get a nice tan and actually get some of the stress out...glad to hear others are having the same luck.

Old 05-05-2003, 05:19 PM
Range Rover

Glad to hear you are having fun on the Z400. I love mine! I can't believe how much better it rides with better shocks. Since I don't jump much, I had them setup soft for trail riding.

Old 05-06-2003, 05:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I posted this letter on some other websites, and now posted it here. "Need pics of street legal atvs"

Here in Nebraska,the state leaders are about as **** retentive as they can get! I have always wanted to be able to license my quad for street use,and with all the farmers,ranchers,and other ATV riders,alot of people would like it.But,of course,our wants make absolutly no difference to those in power,and I've been trying to come up with a different angle,and I think I've found it!
My best friend has gradually lost the use of his legs due to a very serious and bizzarre disease that has attacked his spinal cord.So he is now parilized from the waist down,but he still gets out and rides his Polaris Magnum 500!He rolls his wheelchair up to the side of it and climbs on,then pulls his wheelchair up on to the rack,and ties it down.Because all the controls are operated by the hands,he hits the electric start,puts it in high(it's automatic,so no shifting),and he can ride as long as he wants. This got me thinking,maybe other disabled poewple out there would like to be able to use a quad like the rest of us use a street motorcycle,and go cruising on warm summer days,or just have a quick and easy way to get around.I realize not ALL disabled people could use a quad,but I bet there are alot that would love to be able to ride around the street in the open air. So I got to thinking that if I could get with a disabled advocacy group,and generate interest in liscensing quadrunners for the street,maybe the state legislature would have a harder time saying NO!!
So I'm putting together a presentation,and I could use pics of street legal quads,and possibly some stats about states or countries that have stret legal quads.I'm having a hard time finding much info so far. Thanks

Old 05-06-2003, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mini 14 GOD-
I ride a Polaris Sportsman 500 HE and carry my chair on an extended rear rack. Here in AZ all we need is a headlight, brake light/license plate light and a left rear view mirror to register an ATV as a motorcycle. I'm originally from CA and couldn't believe ho easy it was to register. Some of the folks in the area aren't aware that ATV's can be street legal so there is an education process that takes place but the general greeting is a waive and "howdy." AZ is a great state!! I don't have a photo of my 500 but if I can find someone with a digital camera I'll send one along.
Good riding!
Tim

Old 05-07-2003, 01:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

How do you get around the "for offroad use only" statement on the MSO? I think that is part of the problem.

Old 05-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys--
This is a great thread !!!! I was injured in a diving accident 15 years ago at age 22 (in 1986), a c7 fracture (a broken neck in layman's terms) and as usual with that type of injury I have no real use of anything from the chest down (no trunk balance and no real finger control either). I was raised on motorcycles and got my first atv ('84 Honda 250R 3 wheeler in '85) and have missed riding ever since. I have had my converted Chevy Astro AWD for about 6 years now (I use standard hand controls for gas/brake) and an old '69 Buick Electra convertible that we put hand controls in also. I recently discovered the Kawasaki Mule line and a light went on in my little brain, I took delivery of my 550 last thursday, got the hand controls mounted (from the old Buick) on friday and have been blasting around almost every evening since. I've added a G Force 5 point harness from Jeg's (the cheapest solution I found at $59, I've got to be belted in since no trunk balance). I would be glad to send anyone pics who might be interested. Before you'all think the Mule doesn't have what it takes to have fun off-roading I can testify that it sure does....My dad has 20+ acres across the county road where I live in Indiana and I have been in mud and water up to the foot board and have blasted through some trails we cut in the woods. I would suggest this to any quadraplegic like myself who wants to try this great hobby. Oh yeah, I convinced my wife to let me get the Mule under the guise of pulling a mower to mow our big-rough yard, now she enjoys riding along through the woods.

Old 05-08-2003, 05:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi 550muler
i`m in the uk, i`m paraplegic ,over here if you`re a quadraplegic or para for that matter there is an off road buggy/atv made by cyclone with full adaptions for any level of disability, even up to no hand use what so ever, its a great machine but like everthing to do with disability its expensive. www.cyclonemobility.com
steve.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Steve,

I'll check it out.....you're right on the expensive part....$2500 for a decent sport chair over here.

mark

Old 05-08-2003, 09:30 AM
Range Rover

I no cost is a big factor for those on a limited budget. Everything for the disabled cost more. I wish we could get together and ride. On the trails, I have never met anyone with a disability.

Quick Reply: atvs are great for those with a disability