The Last Boy Scout - Being Prepared

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002 | 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

How did it end? At first, I thought it was their truck because they were all leaning on it. Then I saw the fuel can and loading ramp in the back, and I knew something wasn't right!!! These guys just didn't fit the profile of typical dirt bikers. I kind of just stared them down, and they slowly backed away from the truck. They jumped in their car and were out of there pretty quick. I didn't even have to draw the gun.

This place is normally very secure. It is at a large popular lake, and the parking lot is usually packed with fisherman. But, on this day there was a very strong wind, so no fishermen where around. Just me and these thugs. I tried to use the cell phone to give the rangers their liscense number, but couldn't get a signal.

Old 08-09-2002 | 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

Finalaly closer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-09-2002 | 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

you guys need some JB weld.....and a kitchen sink

Old 09-23-2002 | 10:02 PM
|
Pro Rider

JB Weld? Good idea! The Mrs. has also pointed out - in true boys will be boys fashion - that none of these lists included soap. Go figure.

Old 09-24-2002 | 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

I do carry a small amount of "Orange Clean" hand cleaner (with pumice). Does that count? I would smell so sweet after bathing with that, and the rash would probably go away in a day or two! LoL

Old 09-24-2002 | 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

I too believe in being prepared and for a far away trip a most. However I have seen more than once (and experienced) that $250 box filled with all that equipment trap the rider on the seat during slow roll overs where there was time to get out of the way but not a clear path.

There are more pluses than minuses but carring all that does hinder your ability to get out of harms way in the first place.

I now have a smaller box on a six pack rack with a fanny pack instead of a large box on the rear rack.

Old 09-27-2002 | 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Instead of the $600 satelite radio why not keep the regular cell phone?

Instead of attempting to transport the patient, resulting in possible further injury (quite possible!!!) stabilize them where they lay get them warm and send someone to a location with good signal and have them call in rescue. While they are gone rally every quad possible and have them park in a very large circle with the headlights facing outward, this will mark a landing zone for the incoming helicopter and the headlights will not blind the pilot. Unless the patient is in immediate danger (bleeding to death, stopping breathing, no pulse, or a bear is attacking) do not move him, an untrained individual attempting to move a trauma patient runs a big risk of further injuring the patient and leaving them paralyzed or dead.

Do not remove a helmet!!! Even most basic EMTs are not trained to do this, in VA helmet removal is covered in an advanced ancillary class.

Old 10-05-2002 | 09:46 PM
|
Pro Rider

Damn good points – and I can attest personally to not knowing exactly what to do when it happened to us. Straighten the broken leg and then splint it? Splint it the way it is?

But as far as the sat phone – where we ride on vacation its 6 hours or more to the nearest phone and further to the nearest cell signal. – Montana Rockys

You must have some experience with emergency services.

The SAT phone is getting more and more consideration. I had a engine fire in the biplane last week and although we were extremely lucky and didnt burn up the airplane, I did note that I had no cell signal if I needed emergency help.

Old 10-06-2002 | 05:48 PM
Range Rover

To all you guys that like to get out in the backcountry. Why don't you come to Bolivia and ride in the Grand Caravan. I've been on two, and there is nothing like it. Check out my links.

Old 10-07-2002 | 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

WhoDat, actually I am a former professional paramedic with some flight training and a lot of ancellary trauma training.

As far as how to treat a broken extremity splint it in the position you found it unless you are trained to do otherwise.

I'll see if I can find a supply list from my GSAR days, it lists everything you'll need to survive for 2 days including first aid and comfort equipment.

Quick Reply: The Last Boy Scout - Being Prepared