Trailblazer
Default The Last Boy Scout - Being Prepared

good point, never would have thought of it

Old 07-19-2003 | 12:58 AM
Ol
Range Rover

On June 18 I posted this on the Honda forum and was told I was full of beans:

The desert is a very hostile and unforgiving environment. Appended here is a list of items I have on my ATV when I make excursions out into the unknown spaces. In the high desert wilderness, a problem only 5 miles away from the ranch could spell disaster.

ALWAYS a jacket – last Saturday (June 14) it was 98 in the afternoon and 41 in the morning
Water bottle + full extra canteen + 10L / 2.5 Gallon water keg (yes, all 3)
Survival rations
Cell phone
CB Radio and /or Motorola GMRS radio (if a partner has one)
Topo Map - Compass - GPS (GPS is always 3rd behind the Map & compass, never 1st)
Gerber Tool
SAK
tow strap
bungee cords
folding knife or fixed blade
firearm and extra ammo (Usually a 12Ga double barreled Coach Gun w/ 7 rnds of 00 Buck, 7 rnds of hi base #4s, 8 rnds of #8s, & 3 aerial signal flares paired with a Ruger 22 auto w/ 6 7/8 barrel and a box of ammo. That's in the Survival Bag. I also always wear a handgun: either a 45ACP, S&W Trail Boss 44 mag, or S&W M38 Bodyguard)
German entrenching tool because it provides both pick and shovel
8X10 plastic tarp
1st Aid Kit & venom extraction kit
2 cell Maglight (AA size)
6 extra AA batteries in a small ammo pouch (for Maglight, GPS, CB)
Photon Flashlight
backpacker's candle lantern
Fox 40 whistle
1 roll toilet paper
Boonie Hat with chin strap
bandana (yup, them cowboys wore ‘em for a reason)
sportsman's survival blanket
Bic lighter, magnesium fire starter & magnifying lens
Sunblock
heavy leather work gloves
tool kit containing:
6" adjustable wrench
8mm,10,12,13,14,15, combo wrenches
lines-mans pliers
mill file, small (very handy)
multi blade screwdriver
roll of electrical tape
4" "needle nosed" Vise Grips
asstd sized cotter pins
3 hand held aerial signal flares
3 12 Ga aerial signal flares
1 Orange Smoke Marker
1 roll of duct tape
5 ft 18 ga. electrical wire
asstd electrical connectors
shrink tubing
50’ paracord
tire plug kit
spare fuses
spare spark plug & spark plug wrench
whet stone

Believe it or not TWICE all this gear PLUS a 12 gauge double barreled Stoeger Coach Gun will fit in a Cabela's rear-rack bag.

I was forced to open the emergency kit up this past weekend (July13) whne my buddy blew a tire and did NOT have proper repair gear. We were about 12 miles out in the desert in 120 degree heat. It 'could' have gotten deadly real quick. Preparation for those excursions into real wilderness areas can indeed mean the difference between an enjoyable time and a disaster with fatal consequenses.

Old 07-19-2003 | 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

i watched a british film recently called dog soldiers and a guy on there used super glue to seal a flesh wound and claimed the glue was invented for the the us military during the vietnam war,

can anyone confirm if this is true

i think you guys call it crazy glue,

you know the stuff that sticks anything instantly.............................to your fingers,

Old 07-19-2003 | 05:55 AM
Trailblazer

Other communication option. Check out your local amateur radio club... They have repeaters on very high mountain tops usually with phone line access. What this means is with a radio just a little bigger than a cell phone you now have 5 watts instead of .6 watts and a much better chance of getting help. Most cell sites are set up around the road system so what happens when you are 20 mile from the main population or highway? the liine of site range for vhf radios is much greater. So check out your local club for more information (Ask some one a Radio Shack or other 2 way radio shop.

Old 07-19-2003 | 10:25 PM
|
Pro Rider

Super glue was around in 1973 as the AirForce used it on the B52 bombers like lock-tite for the thousands of electrical connectors that ran through the flexable wings. We mechanics used it then to glue skin back together for minor cuts that might otherwise need a stitch or two. It still works.

Old 07-19-2003 | 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

wow so it does work then,

were you advsied to do it in an official capasity or is it just something you decided to do for your self,

if its safe to use it it would seem like a realy good item to have with its multi purpose abilities

Old 07-21-2003 | 02:01 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Cleaned Tamarack trunk and took an inventory. This is what I found. I got some ideas from this post and would like to thank the ones who mentioned usable items we did not carry before. My wife and I travel alot by ourselfs and like to be prepared. If the weather is a slight bit threatening and we take our Koplin bag on the front, we take two more coats, two more orange hunting hooded sweat shirts and an unbrella.

Here is what we had:
Tire plugs
Tire plug kit
CO2 cartridges
Tire gauges
Assorted tools
Bungee cords
Bungee net
Tie down (ratchet)
Gloves (riding)
Gloves (rubber)
Zip ties
Electrical tape
Duct tape
Thermal blankets (2)
Survival candles
Weatherproof matches
Rain slickers
First aide kit (complete)
First aide book
Tweezers
Nail clippers
Visine
Blistex
Afrin
Sun-block
Flash light
Batteries
Fuses
Tow strap
Come-along
Compass
Shovel
Knife
Plastic tarps
Wet ones
WD-40
Fire starters
Fire extinguishers (2 aerosol can style)
Spot light (rechargeable 1 million candle power, 12v acc plus 12-v charger)
Sierra saw
Hand soap
Surgical masks (dust)
Funnel
Oil
Valve stem tool
Coolers (two six-pack size coolers, 1 for food, 1 for frozen water bottles)
Tooth picks
Maps
FRS radios
Insect repellent
Light sticks
Bio toilet paper
5 ft’ 3/8” fuel line (siphon)
Loud whistle
Replacement lens for goggles
Ice sox
Hand warmers
Sweatshirt & pants
Bathroom hand towels for packaging
Plastic garbage bags
S&W Hammer-less 357 Mag (not in trunk)
100 rounds Hydro-shock ammo
Wood shims for kindling (line bottom of trunk with them)
Binoculars

It all fits too!

Old 07-21-2003 | 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

(From Who-Dat):
..."That winch on the front of your quad and all this “stuff” have a couple of things in common. First, its there when you need it. Secondly, and likely most obvious – its there not for you, but for the other guy. If it was a “for me” winch it would be mounted more likely on the back of the quad rather than the front. Most frequently I find myself needing to go back to where I was rather then further into where I went......."

I hate to admit it in the "for me" context you referred to....................but I think my next winch is going to be removable and have a rear mount only. Tried to weld the "multi-mount" from Warn on the front bumper and it just turned me it into a small "excavator" on the sharper angled dips (the bumper is relatively low).

Also, if we go with the new Rhino.............once we're stuck............I'm not thinking we'll want to drag that beast much 'further' into the muck! (sometimes you have to make it 'back' the same way).

This is always a great topic that can't be stressed enough..........thanks for reviving it, Who-Dat.

Old 07-22-2003 | 01:28 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Blackballed,
good point.

Old 07-22-2003 | 03:56 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: EasterEgg
I too believe in being prepared and for a far away trip a most. However I have seen more than once (and experienced) that $250 box filled with all that equipment trap the rider on the seat during slow roll overs where there was time to get out of the way but not a clear path.

There are more pluses than minuses but carring all that does hinder your ability to get out of harms way in the first place.
Good point, but there's another way to look at it, EasterEgg.
A few weeks ago I was riding on a trail that I've ridden many times. However, I decided to back up and turn around on the trail where I had not done so before. What I didn't see was underneath the brush and weeds where I backed off the trail was the beginning of a ravine that went down the hill. As a result, I had a slow rollover with me underneath. Fortunately, I had a 48 quart cooler strapped on the rear rack that day and it kept the quad's weight off of me and I was able to easily crawl out from underneath. I had a bruised cheekbone, eye and hand, but it could have been much worse if I hadn't had the cooler on the back (which normally I don't).

Quick Reply: The Last Boy Scout - Being Prepared