Women Riders?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I am just curious to see how many women there are out there that ride ATV's besides me. I can't seem to find many women in my area (florida) that ride quads. They are all too worried about painting their nails to ride..Or they are worried they may get a little dirty. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I rode three wheelers and dirt bikes as a kid, had a streetbike briefly as a teen, but then I got away from riding for quiet sometime. Me and my husband got back into riding a while back, and have greatly enjoyed it ever since. I started out on a 1993 Yamaha Warrior (still have for my daughter) outgrew very quickly, not fast enough.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I then moved onto a 2001 Warrior. I rejeted the carb, put a DMC alien exhaust with head pipe, K&N Air filter, new Maier all black plastics, full DG armor, black renthal bars, motion pro twist throttle, Holeshot front tires on ITP rims, Realtor back tires on ITP rims, Armadillo front bumper, 100 watt off road lights..(whoa....the $$ are adding up)...Works shocks were next on the list when I stopped...Anyway I rode that for about 6 months and realized that I was ready to move onto a 2003 Raptor..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I still have my Warrior (for sale) but I have to admit I Love My Raptor!!! Still in a bit of a learning curve, but shouldnt take long. I learn pretty fast..I just have to remind myself that I am not on my warrior...lol...and that I now have the power that I want..Just have to learn how to use it without getting hurt...I am not a crazy rider but I do love to go fast, and I love sliding around curves..I already have my list of aftermarket goodies for my Raptor, just wanna let the new wear off of it first..and let the wallet recover from the warrior parts..lol..

I am just curious if there are many other women that love to ride, buy parts, work on their quads (my husband is teaching me), and dont mind a little mud and dust, or grease on their hands.

Kimberly

Current Stable:
2003 Raptor (Kimberly)
2003 Raptor (Dave)
2001 Warrior (for sale)
1993 Warrior
1993 Suzuki LT230

Old 10-02-2002, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I'm not in your area, but I love quads and everything that goes along with it. I got involved about ten and half years ago. When my dad decide to get a second quad(a blaster). I rode that for about 5 years until getting my honda 250R. I find buying parts the hardest because I go in there and the guy at the counter thinks because I am a girl that I have no clue what I am talking about. I don't mind working on my quad. I do pretty good taking it apart but normally have to ask for help to put it back together. I am very forgetful. Now my stepmom, sister, brother, and dad all have quads.

Old 10-02-2002, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

Hello Ladies, fellow ATVer's Being male I am glad to see women riding more. I ride with a group of 7 families husbands wifes and kids. Usually we ride separately gals first then the guys later then either guys with kids or girls with kids who ever is not so sore. We have all makes of bikes and prefer the muskeg mudd with winching crawling over trees and what have you. I am from Alberta Canada with lots of trails to choose from. I find there are more women riding today than say a year ago I beleive they are finding out mudd washes off and it can be fun.

I started a Munchkin Club, kids with cancer that like the outdoors and what better way to see the wilderness but on a quad. My Munchkins and the families involved have a great time. My wife rides with me on her own bike and like you she likes the ability to ride with other gals to get away from the old man as it were. Take care gals and have fun.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello,
It's me again. Quadbabe - I know what you mean about going to the parts store. I get the same treatment. Both of my girls ride with us, but they are not as agressive rider as me, but they hold their own. I was always a tomboy growing up.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I grew up with 28 cousins, all boys..So most of what I did was what they did.. I get frustrated sometimes because ususally when we find couples or a group to ride with, the women dont ride like I do and they really arent interested in learning anything new. I had learned how to jump my warrior and was getting pretty good at wheelies, but I havent tried too much on my Raptor yet..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] It will all come in time. I love to customize my bike..I like having something different than anybody else has.. Most women that have ridden with us, we have to wait on them (which is ok, I just dont like to ride slow) I wish that I could find women riders that liked to play. I usually end up being with just guy riders (and of course my husband) waiting on the women..I guess I will find other women riders in time..Don't get me wrong, I love riding with the guys, I just wouldnt feel so out numbered..I would also like to have a women that I could talk about quads with. I love to know all about them..That's about all for now..

Kimberly

Current Stable:
2003 Raptor (Kimberly)
2003 Raptor (Dave)
2001 Warrior (for sale)
1993 Warrior
1993 Suzuki LT230

Old 10-03-2002, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

I see several women riders in Ohio. In the Wayne Nat'l. Forest area.

Old 10-03-2002, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Jeepers Dak61399! You are on the wrong coast!

I am having the same problem out here....nobody to ride with (outside of the guys on their MCs). As it stands now, I ride with my husband (KDX 200) and my brother (KTM). We ride mountain trails, and some of the pines are just a little too close together to get the Warrior through, so you don't see too many quads up here. I'm kind of the odd man (or woman, as the case may be) out!

I am active in our local MRA (which also has a quad group), but they are all pretty much fair weather riders, or just plain too slow! I enjoy riding with the motorcycles, but it would sure be nice to find someone with a quad. There are a lot of quad riders out here, but they are mostly into tricked out 2-strokes (mostly Banshees) for the coast. My Warrior is more of a gruntin machine and not really set up for the coast. When it is coast time, I do set it up a little differently, change the jetting, change my front sprocket, add a few more plates to the pipe, etc., for more full out top end, but that only happens maybe once a year.

If you're ever out this way, with your Warrior (the Raptor is just a smidge too wide and tippy for most of the trails here, tested one out before deciding on the Warrior), look me up!

Old 10-04-2002, 03:57 AM
Pro Rider

WEll good to see a few more ladies out therer tearin it up!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I too ride and have been for almost a year now. I have a 2002 300ex,soon to be upgrading to hopefully a Predator or to a Glamis.My whole family rides, I have 2 childen ages 8 and 5 and my they ride a 2002 e-ton viper50cc and a 2001 Kasea Skyhawk90cc and my husband rides a 2002 400ex, soon to be a Raptor. Our favoriter place to ride is the dunes!! Im so hooked to sand that I cant stand to ride hardpack now, and it is so much more forgiving..We only have a small group that rides with us, and aside of one girl and my DAughter..Im it!!Its funny to see some of the guys faces when they see a girl tear it up, or like me.. I love to drag race,that will get there head a turnin!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Im glad to see there are more women getting into this sport more and more,This is a great way to spend time together as a family for us..keep up this thread and keep the sotries going.. We do this at one of the other forums I get on daily and you will get to meet alot of great people...Keep riding..be safe.. Tina [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-04-2002, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, its a little late, but were about to pull out for a weekend of riding. Heading to the National Forest in the motorhome.

TNT - I know what you mean about the sand, thats about all we have here in florida, But I love it. We have lots of sink holes for climing hills, and there are lots of wooded trails too. Kind of a combination..

My oldest daughter rides a 1993 Warrior (my first quad) and my Youngest rides a Suzuki LT230 (no clutch).

I wish that you ladies were closer. We have a small group that we ride with but they dont ride every other weekend (every weekend when possible) like we do, so for the most part it is just us.. There are lots of others around, so we like to watch everyone too..

Well gotta go, probably get set up and do some night riding..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Kimberly

Current Stable:
2003 Raptor (Kimberly)
2003 Raptor (Dave)
2001 Warrior (for sale)
1993 Warrior
1993 Suzuki LT230

Old 10-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello
It's me again. Just returned home from a weekend of riding. Had a great weekend. I am really starting to get use to my Raptor. It took a while to make the change from my warrior. We rode with another group today and as ususal nobody wanted to ride fast. One of their kids was about 17, he rode a blaster, and he was the only one from the group that was any fun during the ride..(besides of course my husband and my oldest daughter)... No one complained, just slower than what I like. Had a limb almost clothesline me at about 45 on a trail, but nothing worse than a scratch...I have to say that I am really pleased with my Raptor. Was a little apprehensive at first, but feeling better about it all the time. I had to move up, I was asking more than my Warrior had..

I always get excited when a woman comes along, but then I am quickly dissapointed because they end up complaining the whole time. I am not saying anything bad about other women, I just wish that I could find others in my area that enjoyed riding like I do..instead of thinking that I am nuts..and that I ride too fast..I dont mind being the only woman in a group, I get along fine with the guys, plus it makes the ride a lot faster and more challenging... I do however think that the next time that the kids go I will put them in a tent and not in the motorhome. Boy did the argue all weekend...

Thanks for the responses, turning into a very good thread.

P.S. Had two close encounters with two different deer...

Kimberly

Current Stable:
2003 Raptor (Kimberly)
2003 Raptor (Dave)
2001 Warrior (for sale)
1993 Warrior (daughter)
1993 Suzuki LT230 (daughter)

Old 10-07-2002, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider

I just met a customer at work that her parents like to ride, one has a Bashee souped up for racing and her Husband rides a Warrior, she too likes to drag like me,and loves sand, so I left her my phone # to call me, we are going riding(husbandand kids and a few guys) I cant wait ,im gonna see if she will let my ride her Shee,its set up for racing..AAAWWW... I can feel the adrenaline already..lol...I know what you mean about going fast,...I could care less for high jumps and wheelies,but I love to drag.. Cant wait to get a bigger quad..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Tina

Quick Reply: Women Riders?