Help Buying Boots???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 12:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying apparel?

Does anyone have an opinion about what boots to buy? There are so many to choose from. I'm looking at spending about $150 or less. Just looking for a informed opinion.

Alpinestars?
Gaerne? (Not for $150)
O'Neal?
Thor?
Fox?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2002, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default Buying Boots...

My Fox boots NEVER leak, not even after wading in mud.

My husband's Alpinestars DO leak like a sieve, even when he tapes the tops up with duc tape[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Buying Boots???

[quote]
Originally posted by: Karlfly
Does anyone have an opinion about what boots to buy? There are so many to choose from. I'm looking at spending about $150 or less. Just looking for a informed opinion.

Alpinestars?
Gaerne? (Not for $150)
O'Neal?
Thor?
Fox?

I'm afraid it's none of the above for the amount you can spend. You might try running a want ad for the specific boot you'd like or just save some more money. I have worn SIDI's for many years and currently have their flex model which is hinged at the ankle for good flexibility in walking. They are made with top grain cow hide which means no break-in required as with other grades of leather. MX boots aren't designed or intended for wading, nor do any companies claim theirs are waterproof.
If on needs waterproof riding boots, he should get a pair of trials boots. They have a steel insole & toe.

Old 11-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Heck, hot-shoe...I only paid $110 for my Fox boots, but, they're ladies' boots, so maybe therein lies the difference. Seems I did pay $150 for my hubby's Alpinestars, but they were on sale. 'Tis true they are not waders...unfortunately, wading in the mud bogs goes with the territory when you're doing things like sweeping courses during a hare scrambles and getting people unstuck. Maybe we need to look into the enduro boot thing. My husband has just about had it with wet feet!

Old 11-19-2002, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

FOX all the way! i paied 50$ for my brand new paire! and they are great! never leak on nothing!

Old 11-19-2002, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well, you got some kind of price on Alpine Stars. The last time I looked the Tech 8's were close to $300. As for the mud. Etc. We had plenty of that in addition to stream beds which we had to ride up or down, seldom across, so observed trials boots were the only way to go. They're heavy duty all rubber thruout with deep cleated soles.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

Hot-shoe...they were Tech 8's...and I DID get a steal of a deal, lucky for me. It was a b-day present and I got them from an MC shop that I do a lot of business with...deals like that don't come around very often. Are trials boots usually sold alongside regular MX boots? Or, do you have to shop for them somewhere else? They sound interesting, I need to check them out. I have no idea why I haven't before now.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Old 11-19-2002, 07:51 PM
Range Rover

I would go to a place and try on as many different brands as possible. Your gonna have them a long time so find some that fit you well. You dont want to get cheap boots that are gonna make your feet sore. I found that SIDI and AXO were the most comfortable for me but you may find something different.

Old 11-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Dunescreaminmama
Bear in mind that my trials boots are about 20 years old and may not be available now, but Chaparral Racing carries one brand of trials boots;they're leather with a waterproof liner.
You also could do a search for trials bike dealers, like Gas Gas, Beta, or Montessa in your area. They could surely order a pair for you. I gave up riding trials a long time ago so I'm kinda out of the loop as far as equipment goes.

Old 11-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks hot_shoe!

I'll see what I can find!

Quick Reply: Help Buying Boots???