Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv

Dodge (Cummins) Diesels are notorious for eating automatic transmissions, Ford and GM have had their share of problems with automatics coupled to diesels as well. The new GM's with the Duramax diesel has an Allison transmission that's supposed to be pretty good, I hear that Ford has come out with an all new automatic for their new 6.0 powerstroke diesel. These engines are putting out about 300hp and 500 lb/ft of torque stock, the problem is it's really easy to get a lot more power out of a diesel just by a chip or computer reprogrammer that raises the Turbo wastegate pressure to pretty high levels, increasing power dramatically, a tranny made to handle 500 lb/ft of torque doesn't last long when having 700 or 800 lb/ft jammed through it. Go to www.pickuptruck.com, there's lots of good info and some pretty entertaining forums there, the Raptor vs. DS650 vs. Cannondale wars are nothing compared to the Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge battles!

Old 12-31-2002, 07:07 PM
Range Rover

Squidward, the new 6.0 powerstroke puts out 325 hp and 560 ft/lbs torque. Nothing else comes close.
Albabanshee, the Lightning will do just about anything any 1/2 ton will do.(only way faster)
Bing, the problem with the AT's is mostly Dodge and some Chevrolets(Allison). My old Ford diesel went 220,000 miles before it needed a transmission. There's a great article on www.pickuptruck.com where they tested the new 6.0 Powerstroke against the other big diesels.
I'm not sure but someone said the Hemi doesn't really make any big power until it gets to higher rpm's. Not good for longevity.

Old 12-31-2002, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Grademan, you said:
Squidward, the new 6.0 powerstroke puts out 325 hp and 560 ft/lbs torque. Nothing else comes close.

Sorry, but the new Dodge makes 305/550. I consider that close.
Also, that test is apples and oranges. The Dodge has 4.10's and, if I recall is a dually (can't remember for sure though). The ideal truck would be a Ford body w/ a Cummins and Dodge 6 spd. Any auto will hold up fine if you treat it right. I know of a Dodge (1995) that has 180,000 miles on the original tranny. The new 6.0 is having major issues w/ the injectors.
They're all great trucks...I'm partial to mine though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2003, 06:53 PM
Range Rover

PADZZ,
Sorry but 20 h.p. is not close in my opinion. There's only a 10 h.p. difference in mine and my fathers' trucks, and you can easily feel the difference. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about on the test, I thought I read all the trucks were as equal as they could be. I know probably 20 guys who have had Dodge AT's go south before their time. I also know a few guys with the new 6.0 and they're not having any problems. (this engine has already been heavily tested on the road for two years)I like the Cummins, in fact I just got rid of one we had for 226,000 mi. The engine was great, the truck was not.
The ideal truck would be and is a Ford body with a Powerstroke diesel with any transmission, like the two sitting in my driveway.
I wonder why it is, that Ford sells more heavy duty trucks than Dodge and Chevy COMBINED.

They're all great trucks...I'm partial to mine though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

As a fellow Super Duty owner like Grademan, I have to agree. My '01 F250 Crewcab 4x4 V10 has never let me down. Having said that, it's hard to buy a bad truck anymore, the huge market share that Pickup Trucks now have forced the manufacturers to put their best effort forward. Just like buying a Quad, detemine what your going to use it for, do some comparison shopping, and go with the one that suits you best.

Old 01-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Range Rover

Very true Squidward.

Old 01-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

It's actually 555 ft lbs...
Cummins is the only medium duty Diesel you can buy in a truck. Fur and Chebby are light duty. Ford has Cummins as an option in the F-550.....'nuff said. All the truck companies do is tune it up to have the most HP etc. You can get 600 HP outta most these trucks if you got the $$.
Also, back to the topic (kinda), Chevy is coming out with an SS sport truck w/ the 6.0.

Old 01-04-2003, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Is Ford the only one that sells a heavy Duty truck with a manual transmission. Everytime I go to a dealer and ask can i get that in a manual they just kinda get all snooty and say "what would u want that for". Well right there is the end of that conversation. Guess Even if i wanted a different brand I would be forced to go with the Ford. Even though I'm partial to the Ford anyway.

Old 01-05-2003, 04:21 AM
Trailblazer

I believe that the High Output Cummins turbodiesel in the Dodge is available only with the manual transmission.

Old 01-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

I am not a ford man so actually I would prob buy a CHEVY! but I just wanted to hear some response

I was laughing when my friend brought a 4wd mag over and showed me that the GMC Sierra Denalli beat the Ford power stroke 250 diesel! lol, the ranger got second! powerstroke 250 3rd, dodge hemi 4th(stiff shocks)

Quick Reply: Ford Lightning vs Dodge Hemi / sporty truck to pull atv