Does anybody wear a helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2000, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was down in darlington,WI last weekend and amazed of how many people were not wearing them!! we even saw people that had the helmets bungeed to the racks, but not on there head!! most of us ride sport quads and like to "race" on the trails and we always wear our brain buckets. just a little more insurance.
y2k 400ex couple mods, KBC helmet, full THOR riding gear!!

Old 05-01-2000, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

If I'm outta 1st gear, Iv'e got my helmet on. If I'm riding (really riding on trails or woods whatever) it's helmet, gloves, and very important riding boots. Quads are ankle busters. It's really easy to get crossed up and end up with one of your dogs under the rears.
To those of you who don't wear helmets, you cirtainly are not helping the cause to try to keep ATV's legal. Everytime someone ends up in a coma or dead from an accedent, helmet or not, it's a black eye to the sport of riding. "Those Dangerous ATV's" they say. They don't say "He'd be alive if he had been wearing a helmet". I know that it isn't a force field that totally prevents you from getting hurt, but I've never heard of anyone dying from wearing a helmet. Have you?
You could screw it up for all of us, not that it will matter cause you'll be eating through a straw. Wear a helmet!

Old 05-02-2000, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

yes, i wear a helmet and would not consider riding without one. however, wearing a helmet is one's CHOICE and PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY as an adult. you won't get me to support a helmet law in 1000 years.

and btw: not using a helmet will be the LAST reason the sport of atving could be outlawed. issues such as "land management" - as they call it - and a weak lobby group are the things that are holding the atv crowd back. (ever notice how snowmobiles can ride just about anywhere and have a well-marked, easily accessible, seemingly endless trail system? the snowmobiling lobby - and rider participation in legistlative matters is HUGE.)

uhh...what was the question again..?

Old 05-02-2000, 05:56 PM
Range Rover

Wearing protective riding gear is a really matter of personal choice. This is America afterall.

However, until you have actually seen a severe open head wound (not pretty while the body seizures) or personally know someone who has suffered a severe brain injury which ultimately alters the injured's personality, nobody will think it can happen to them. You may think during the split second you are flying off your ride through the air toward an oak tree with your body out of control..."gee I should've been wearing my helmet" and then its too late to grab your helmet.

I have seen severe head injuries. My brother in law, who was very close to me, suffererd a brain injury that altered his personality. He is definitely not the same guy I used to know and I feel for my sister and their son.

I always wear my helmet and make my son do the same. I don't fault anybody for not wearing them but I think to myself that they are adults, its their choice and if they crash and burn, thats the way life goes.

Have a nice day!

Old 05-03-2000, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

I always wear a helmet I don't care how fast I'm going or how short of a distance it is. You never know. Riding boots too, I really didn't think they were that important since I had an auto with full floorboards. Then, my Dad was about to go up a small hill, the tires spun at the bottom in a little mud, he didnt have enough momentum. There was a small dug out root in the middle of the hill, the tires hit it and the quad flipped right over on top of him. The floorboards which made me think I didn't need boots were what smashed his leg. He was basically lucky. He got away with just a large cut on his leg and some bad brusing. From that point on I now wear riding boots.

Old 05-03-2000, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Do you guys wear Motocross boots or those softer ATV versions? I bought a pair of Motocross boots and find them stiff...like riding with ski boots! It's hard to get used to. I bought them after hearing all the broken ankle stories...plus they look really cool!

Old 05-04-2000, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

I just bought a new Helmet its not an expensive one but it looks good fits my big head and meets the Dot requirments and was under 80.00$ So if you can afford a quad we can D@mn sure afford a HELMET.
Come on guys and gals lets wear those helmets.

Old 05-04-2000, 04:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I always wear a helmet when riding woods or the track, and about 50% of the time while at the sand dunes( I always wear it at night). I klnow I should wear wear it and hope to do better this season.. Thats my comment!

RoostKing...