Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Is race gas 'cleaner' than pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2000, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of the conversations about race gas focus on the octane rating and pre-detonation. I have a different question.

Gas from the pumps at the local station contain extra chemicals such as MTBE and such. The government has put these chemicals to “help” the environment. (Of course I recently saw on the news how these chemicals are now causing damage when leaked out of the tanks.)

At the recent practice race, the topic of race fuels popped up. One rider said that his motor was much cleaner after running a season on race fuel, rather than pump gas. After every season, he would tear down his motor and usually would need to bore the cylinder. But after racing an entire season on race fuel, only a honing was needed.

While I may not need the higher octane of race fuel, I would be willing to pay more for “cleaner” gas that is easier on my motor.

What do all of you think about this?

Old 05-17-2000, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't say it's "cleaner", but it typically burns cleaner, and is more consistent. You're right about the additives in pump gas, the other down side to pump gas is that it doesn't have to meet the strict guidelines that most race fuels adhere to, so you may see different performance from one tank to the next with pump fuel.

Your friend who mentioned only having to hone the cyl instead of boring it -- seems to me the difference would be because the race fuel allows the engine to run cooler, so if he's running a piston that's really susceptible to heat expansion (wiseco), it would be less likely to heat seize and require a bore with the race gas.

Now, as far as emissions go, the race fuel is much "dirtier" from an emissions standpoint, which is the main reason it isn't sold at the pump.

Basically, the reason I run race fuel 1/2 & 1/2 with pump fuel in my essentially stock 250R is because it gives me an added "fudge factor" in jetting. I can jet the bike correctly once, and not end up seizing it because I got a batch of bad gas at the pump! I figure it's cheap insurance -- oh yea, and I like the great throttle response!!

Old 05-18-2000, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Pam.

I think I am going to start running race fuel in my quads. I figure if I am going to spend that much money on my toys, a few more dollars a gallon would be a good idea.

The way I figure it gas here in CT is $1.67 for regular (cheap stuff). That is what I put in my cars. I always got super for the quads, and that I think is around $1.80 a gallon. And I also do not trust the gas stations and the quality of the gas. My cars have so many sensors to handle the change in gas but my quads, none.

Now I just have to pick out which kind and find a dealer.

Old 05-18-2000, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I've always run Shell Premium in my Muscle Car and ATV's and never posed a problem. I would agree with the above post that some fuels might burn clearner than others. My guess would be those that have Ethyl Alcohol in them (Amoco & Sunoco) would burn cleaner.

Anyhow if you're worried about particles in your gas K&N makes a fuel filter (reusable and cleanable w/lifetime warranty) that stops particles down to .10 microns and flows 15.3 gpm (which is MORE than enough).

If you're interested, you can purchase it through Jegs High Performance
800-345-4545

599-81-0510 5/16" Fuel Filter...60.99
599-81-0520 3/8" Fuel Filter....60.99

I've ordered literally 1000's of dollars of stuff from Jegs for my Muscle Car and been happy with it all!

Not to mention it's chrome!

They'll even send you a free catalog with any purchase.

Old 05-18-2000, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Typically, you want to stay away from fuels with any type of alcohol in them. Alcohol can corrode rubber and cause serious problems, especially in two-strokes (ruins the main brg seals and causes air leaks).

I've even seen it eat away the gaskets in an automotive carburetor after only a few days.

It's pretty yukky stuff as an additive.

Ask the guys on here who run alcohol in their bikes, you have to basically "rinse" the carb and cylinder after each ride to purge the system of alcohol.

Since some gas stations do have fuel with alcohol added (and most don't tell you about it!), it's just another reason to run the race gas (or a mix) in our "babies"!