Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Porting

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2000, 05:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was wondering what the real differance was between stage 2 and stage 3 porting was? A shop here in town(las vegas) charges 150 dollars more for stage 3 so I was wondering if I was really worth the extra money to have him go all out? He told me the differance was in the transfer ports. On stage 2 he said he opens the intake and exhaust ports and polishes the exhast side, also he said he take alittle from the bottom of the ports but does nothing inside the barrels. How much extra power can be found in changing the transfer ports?
Thanks alot

1999 banshee with Ptr Mid range pipes, coolhead, prodesing intake, delta v-force valves, toomey 2-1 filter, tcs shocks up front, and holeshot xct.

Old 05-22-2000, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is allot of power lost throught the transfers. The stock transfers can be rearranged and reshaped to produce much more power and a much different power band. The banshee trnsfers are kinda hard to work on, and not many people can rework them the right way. I would never have my cylinders "half" ported. You will se much more of a difference if you go all the way. raising the intakes and exhaust without touching the transfers cna make the power band very pipey. To be honest, I dont even know that i would let a local shop shop do my porting. I dont like to let people who have mic'ed some ported cylinders "copy" that onto mine and thats what most local shops do. I want someone who knows why everything is done the way it is. The big shops are pretty resonable on their prices for porting. Just sharing my opinion.