Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

sprocket help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sprocket help

awesome, me last question would be: how much top end will i lose? i like the occasional drag race and i love haulin *** down sand highway. did u notice a significant difference in speed loses?

Old 10-02-2003, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default sprocket help

o ya, one last thing...what company sprocket would u suggest, or does it not matter? in my rocky mountain atv/mc catalog i can get a steel front sprocket made to stock specs except it has 1 less tooth for like 8 bucks. did u have to shorten ur chain?

Old 10-03-2003, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default sprocket help

I didn't notice a whole lot of top end loss. 5th gear to me is actually better now because I get more use out of it. Drag racing is better now because of the pull through all gears. However I notice it is much better to start out in 2nd gear when racing. 1rst is a little low.

As far as what sprocket to buy I just went with a name that I am familliar with (Jt racing) but I don't think that it matters. You will not have to shorten the chain, just simply adjust the slack. You will have to losen it anyway when you take off the stock sprocket. Took me about 15min. and I was out riding.

Old 10-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sprocket help

What I dont get is that now you say 1st is too low. Seems to me that by going down a tooth, you kinda made 1st gear useless, giving yourself only 4 gears instead of 5. I always thought that 4 strokes like the 400ex or even the 300ex should actually go up a tooth in the front, then 1st would be fully utilized and then you get a lot more top end in 5th.
OH Well

Old 10-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default sprocket help

What i said was it is a little low. I'm trying to point out that when drag racing you will have to shift quickly from 1rst to 2nd. 1rst gear with the stock sprocket is actually in my opinion a little high. By putting this sprocket on, 1rst gear is far from useless. The whole point of putting this sprocket on is to get more performance through all gears. I don't know about you, but I don't spend a whole lot of time in 1rst gear anyway.

4-strokes have a lot of low end torque, but without the right gearing it dosn't help. I ride in areas with a lot of big hills and sweeping turns and I don't like to slow down. After putting on the new sprocket I can get up those long hills with turns without having to shift down. When I hit the throttle the rpms are there and I can put the power down coming out of a turn. It's like riding a totally different quad (It's awsome). And for $17.00 it's a cheap way to experiment. Fortunately, I got what I was looking for just by installing one.

Old 10-03-2003, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sprocket help

I use 1st for take offs, and that is about it. I ride in open areas so I try to find the balance to where I have a lot of top end but still have good starting power.
If you like it, run with it.