Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

96 Banshee top end rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Banshee top end rebuild

Guys, just bought a Banshee last week. It is a 96 with Toomey pipes and silencers, boost bottle, K&N filters and cool head. I took it out before i bought it and it ran great... I paid $2500 for it. I think i got a smokin deal. Well yesterday i made my first trip to the local Dunes with it. It ran great, until i made a pass up the local drag and it cut out about half-way up. Well I lost a air filter and sucked sand it. I think i need to rebuild my top end and possibly a new cylinder. I havent tore it apart to see.

My question is this...

I want to put a good piston kit in it, but i dont konw what kind. I think Weisco is okay... but want to see if i have another option.

Any ideas and where is a cheap place online to get them?

Mark

Old 09-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just rebuilt a 97 with a wiseco kit, i think i paid about 160 for it from atv addiction. Check ebay, sometimes you cam find a good deal there, I saw another brand on there recently, but dont remember what brand. If you aren't aware yet, there is an upgrade to the stock airbox too fix the problem of losing the filter. Much better deal. Stock is notoriously dangerous for just that reason. Also check out vitos.

Old 09-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think i will go with a Weisco kit. I havent heard anything bad about them.

I dont know banshee's much... i really dont have an airbox. It is just pretty wide open. I can see the air filters and carbs from the left/right and back side... Is this stock or did the guy i buy it from rip the "air box" off? Got any ideas on keeping these air filters on. I am thinking about fabricating a dual bracket that will keep these on nice and tight...

Mark

Old 09-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thats is not stock, the stock airbox has a single element fully enclosed. You might check around but I believe you can get plenty of airflow with a slightly modified stock airbox and it would certainly be a wise choice for longevity of the motor

Old 09-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

hmm, that is what i thought. After the trip to the dunes and the damage it cuased, i might round a stock airbox up and modify it to work.

thanks again

Old 10-02-2003, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Vitos power pistons!They are one of the best piston sets I have ever bought!!!There is a huge increase in power just instaling the pistons.I would recomend them to any one!

Old 10-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

i would look into the vito's racing forged(i think they call them superstocks). i know on sled many people have had problems clearencing cylinders and having seizures using wiseco piston because they expand so quick. but anyways anything is better than stock. tear it does and see if the cylinder can just be honed if not you will probably have to re-nic or bore. also check for play in the rod and main bearings. good time to freshen up the bottom end while you are in to.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:08 PM
Range Rover

You could always send your motor off to CT racing and let Allen Knowles rebuild it............. He could tear it all the way down, inspect it, true and weld your crank, port it, advance your timing, etc.... for a sweet deal in comparison to Duncan, and LRD, etc....
If it was me, this is what I would do, (recently done it) BECAUSE, when one purchases a used bike you are not sure where it has been and what it has been through, so why not have it redone from the crank up!!? Kinda like a strange chick you pick up in the club, you do not know where she has been and what she has done and who she has done it with, so you gotta get her checked out... LMAO........ No seriously with the exception of the editorial humor, you should check out CT racing.com that way you will have a brand new engine sitting inside that shee!! That is just my $.02/worth................... Later

Old 10-30-2003, 10:10 PM
Range Rover

Oh yeah, one more thing.... I have been told buy quite a few Pro National Caliber Engine Builders that Vitos are for Shade Tree Mechanics that do not know how to do a Port job.... Seriously, Send your motor to Knowles and he will put Pro-X Blaster Pistons in that bad boy!!

Old 10-30-2003, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

Seth, You should just go up to Roy Utah and see K&T Performance. ( Kim Munchmore ) He is one of the best in the country when it comes to Banshee's.. He is not far from you and he can tell you what you will need.

Quick Reply: 96 Banshee top end rebuild