Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Q: Ratchet shifter & Yamaha Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2000, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Raptor from Yamaha is said to have a ratchet type shifter. Does this mean no clutching is involved once you are rolling as someone else stated?

Also, I know it's VERY premature, but what kind of HP do some of you expect to be able to get out of that 660 engine? Do you forsee it making the modified banshees obsolete?

Old 06-09-2000, 04:23 AM
Range Rover

I can't answer the shifting question, but I would venture to say the HP is somewhere around 55.

Old 06-09-2000, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Well I can tell you what a ratchet shifter is in regards to a muscle car. I have one in my Mustang.

Let’s see how to explain this....

Ok, think of an automatic floor shifter, like on a early model Mustang or Dodge Charger. Now usually if you put the shifter all the way back (to the rear of the car) that’s 1st gear. Now on a standard shifter you are able to push the shifter forward (without depressing the release button on the shifter) through 2nd, Drive, up until Neutral. This makes it easy to miss a gear if you want to hammer on the car a bit. Because by pushing too far you could end up in the wrong gear.

With a ratchet shifter, I can pull the shifter all the way back (for 1st gear) slam it as hard as I want forward and it’s 2nd gear (it won’t float all the way to neutral) then it’ll ratchet back (or lock) ready for the next gear, slam it again and I get drive, and if I continue I’ll be in neutral.

It’s impossible to miss a gear with a ratchet shifter.

I had no idea the Raptor had that…what a good idea!

Old 06-09-2000, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

The driver of the race car I worked on had play toy with this shifter. I knew it as a slam shifter. He had a 69 camero all decked out for the drags. But I loved the idea of the shifting.

I am trying to picture how it would work on a quad though?

On a quad now, everytime you move your foot up, it goes to the next gear. You press down, it goes down one gear.

I am confused because I thought the main reason for the rachet shifter was to not have to move the shifter to the right or left to get to the next gear. Just slam it up and back.

Can some one explain how it will really help the way a quad currently shifts?

I can think of may times I have screwed something up shifting at the gate, but I can not picture how a rachet shifter will solve the problems.

Old 06-09-2000, 01:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

dont think the ratchet shifter on the Raptor will be similar to a ratchet on a car. The tranny's on a quad are basically ratchet shifting as it is. The shifter only moves up and down when shifting, but remains in the same place. Basically it pivots around one point.

RoostKing...

Old 06-09-2000, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

It looks as though it a shifter linkage. Like the one Gary Denton use to use ( I think he sells them now??)

I think Ratchet shifter is a bit missleading.

Waymod

Old 06-09-2000, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

with that setup, how would you be able to tell what gear your in?

Trending Topics

Old 06-11-2000, 03:28 AM
Range Rover

Lets just hope it don't end up with a hoky linkage set up like the Warrior!

Old 06-11-2000, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not being negative, but I think Yamaha is calling something new and improved and it really isn't. I am almost positive(not 100%) that what they are calling a ratchet shifter is the same old shifter with a new name. Most Yamaha's get dinged for "notchy" shifter feel. Their current line of motocross bikes has a pretty good shift engagement. In the effort to sell the new machine they point at the shifter and say "YZ style ratchet shifter" and we are supposed to say "I gotta have one" right before we hand them our money. A very good reason to WAIT UNTIL IT IS TESTED BEFORE YOU SAY GOOD OR BAD OR HAND OVER ANY MONEY! Yamaha wants your money, make sure they are giving you a better machine. If it has same brakes, same chain adjuster, same air filter setup, as banshee, why buy one? Because it is new is not a good reason.

Old 06-11-2000, 11:18 PM
Range Rover

ridzhard keeps hammering em just like I do.I personnaly dont think this thing will be very stable at speeds in turns,especially to novice riders.Look at the frame specs and compare to what other quads measure that are rated as very stable and handle well.The weight bias on this thing will obviously be top heavy,why?narrow width,tall seat height,high mounted radiator(which will be destroyed in first over the bars flip).No one has ridden this thing except professional yamaha test riders(who are featured in vids).I cant believe how many people are already handing over there money on a product they haven't seen firsthand,ridden (let alone sat on),or even have an opinion from someone who has.if you are this easily parted with your money then you might be interested in some oceanfront property I have for sale in Wyoming.I spent 3mos reading every test article and comment I could find about the 400ex and 300ex,looking at my friends,riding them, before I purchased them.Why?Because I want to know if its a good product or not,if it is something I will enjoy owning and if it will work for the type of varied riding we do.And they do very very well.I made an educated decision not a child in the candy store one.You should also.

Quick Reply: Q: Ratchet shifter & Yamaha Raptor