Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Trail Tech HID's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trail Tech HID's?

Hi guys, I'm interested in the Trail Tech HID's for my Raptor http://alba.buyol.com/Item/351%2DKS.htm ...has anybod had any experience with these or know about their durability? Also, what kind of lighting upgrades are some of you using on your Raptors and how have they held up? Thanks alot!
chris

Old 12-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

These are durable, good lamps. Their average life is 1000 hrs.

Their current draw is approx 10w each. They put out about as much light a standard ATV headlamp. The color temp of the light is about 6000°K, meaning it's got that purple tint that tells everyone that it's not a normal bulb.

In my opinion, the strength of these lights is not to replace your stock headlight system, but to supplement it.

Being on the bars, they aim the light where you are pointed. Drawing only 10 watts each, they can be used without stator modification. Outputting a little more light than your stock headlights, they end up being a very powerful system when coupled with the light output of your stock lamps.

Just for reference, these lamps output about 500 lumens. An automotive 35w HID outputs around 3200 lumens.

It's not a Raptor, but on my quad, I've got two automotive HIDs and one (not a pair) of these style lamps on the bars. It's a VERY effective system and runs completely on my stock stator.

Old 12-16-2003, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider

Caliraptor a member of these forums has been using them for a little while now...He likes them very much, but there seems to be a problem with the the raptor trailtechs...It seems that the vibration of the raptor is too much for them to handle. Trailtech did come up with something to help with the vibration but the lights still malfunction every now and then. PM him and he could give you some feedback on them...

Old 12-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I would like too upgrade my current paltry stock lighting very soon.
Hey Gabe, I asume those lights are for an off road vehicle that sees a lot of vibration and abuse? Mounting on bars? How much cashola? Anyone else have any info?

Old 12-16-2003, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Gary - I retrofitted a set of HID bulbs out of a BMW to work in my stock headlight housings on my 400EX. It works exceptionally well & has much greater coverage than the stock lights as well as crisp white light.

I bought this stuff used on eBay as it was an experimental setup & I didn't want to pay retail HID prices to test with. It has worked well. I believe there is a place that sells a 35w automotive style HID "kit" for the Raptor at a halfway reasonable price (when talking HIDs, reasonable means around $300-400).

The Handlebar light I use is actually a bike light (bicycle) - it's the same 10w HID trailtech is using, but I like it's mount setup better (below the bars, so the expensive bulb isn't crushed in a rollover - it also doesn't extend up much from it's mount point, so vibration's effects are reduced). This light is also powered by a Nickel Metal Hydride rechargeable battery so it will function independant of my charging system as a backup - it's good for about 4 hours.

I've used this handlebar light for the last two years at the 12hrs of America race and it's performed flawlessly on my 400EX and our Cannondale. The year we ran the Cannondale, it was a lifesaver due to the CD's poor headlight coverage.

As far as a problem with the Raptor trailtechs - the problem may be more in that these lights were developed to be run off a constant voltage supplied by a rechargeable battery pack. Fluctuations in the charging system may be the culprit of the lamps extinguishing as the unregulated ballast has a narrow operating range to provide adequate power to the lamp (most likely they are using the 14.1 - 14.5v ballast). It might be a good idea to monitor the charging system with a graphing VOM to see if this may be the case.

My experience with these bulbs has been absolutely perfect under hard racing conditions when run by a battery pack.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Trailblazer

If you bike has an electric starter it has a battery. If your charging system and battery are in good working order You will have a DC voltage range of 12-14 volts. The trailtech system uses an 12-14 volt DC ballast. A rechargable battery pack will fall off to about 8 volts when discharging before the lights cut out.

trailtech also has a 25 watt MR16 HID. As for durability, both of these lights were at the 24 hour race in goldendale WA on many bikes. The team that took first place (and the several thousand dollar purse) was running these lights off the bikes charging system.

Old 12-17-2003, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

There are no ballasts that exist for that range unless they are using the regulated external variety that only exist for the higher wattage lamps (18w, 21w, or 24w) - or are using a custom designed ballast.... The regulated external ballasts for the higher wattage lamps will operate from 9.8 - 15.0v.

One problem with the higher wattage (>10w) minature HID lamps for the most part is their life is significantly shorter than the 10w variety (in some cases as low as 350hrs) & they are significantly more expensive. Dollar for dollar - unless you need a really small lamp, an automotive HID may be a better solution both from a cost standpoint as well as lens flexibility.

Old 12-18-2003, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

The trail Tech's are mounted on rubber mounts.
Also they come with a small battery especially for these lights.