Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

How to repair cracked/cracking plastic

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair cracked/cracking plastic

Originally posted by: eiger2
trxoutlawz, I've been seeing a plastic welding set on Harborfrieght.com for $30. It says it welds all kinds of ABS. Is quad plastic ABS?
I checked out your page, looks like some fun but I've never seen a Mercedes at a trail ride around here.
The only time I have used the plastic welder was with strips of original plastic. It heats up the plastic and melts the strip plastic into the main plastic.. Let cool. sand smooth and polish... It is not a perfect fix, but it works...

Nice attention to detail... yes that is a mercedes.. my neighbors old one......

He likes the heavy slow rides...... DS and Mercedes...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I started this post I should have mentioned that the repairs that I want to make are around the area where the fasteners/bolts tighten the plastic to the frame. The plastic was tightened down so hard that it cracked under the bolt. Remember that this is a small Polaris Scrambler 90 and there is not a lot of meat in that area. I don't think just a larger washer will help much. My thoughts were to cut a small piece of plastic and Weld or glue it over the area and then drill a new hole for the bolt to go through and secure the plastic to the frame. I'm just not sure what type of plastic will work and the best way to adhere it to the stock plastic. I guess what I'm asking is what type of plastic can be glued or welded, which ever will work the best, to the stock plastic. I hope that I have provided a good picture of what I'm trying to do.

Old 01-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 95Wolverine
http://www.atving.com/atvconnection/Features/productreviews/Plastex-Plastic-Repair.cfm
95wolverine gave this site. It looks like it would do what you want. It claims to be able to be molded to mak new pieces or as a way to fix stripped threads.
In the past I have tried putting apiece of metal under the plasti an riveted together (or zip tied). Drill ahole in metal and put back together.
I know you had a bad experience but I would still go to the owner and see what he will do. Heck, your kid already has a 90 and will be moving up and I would think they would want a piece of your future business, even if you plan to never buy there again they may try to make you happy. Remember "honey catches flies" so be nice.