Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Trail Tech Not Reading .. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004 | 06:44 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Trail Tech Not Reading .. HELP!

My Trail Tech speedo has stopped reading my speed ...

I've been on two rides recently, the second one the speedo wasn't working. The display and modes are all fine, but it doesn't seem to be getting a signal from the sensor somehow.

The first of the last two rides I was riding on a bit of local beach and got a pretty good dose of sea spray (salt water). The speedo was working on my way home from that. I took the hose to the bike with a medium spray and proceeded to hose off the bike to prevent too much salt contamination. Normally before I wash down the bike I take the speedo off, but forgot to this time and hit it very briefly with the hose spray. I've been out in heavier rain than this hose was putting out, so I dont' think i got the unit wet, plus, like I said above the unit itself still seems to function properly.

Has anyone had their trail tech stop reading? Could it be salt buildup on the sensor pickup? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this and if/how they overcame the propblem.

thanks a lot!!

Trev

Old 05-11-2004 | 03:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

My trail tech just stopped too, and I tracked it down to the cable at the wheel, I recently spent a half hour and cleaned the contacts and magnet and by fault I strated moving the wire and bending it while spinning the front wheen at it worked. I am going to replace the cable and it should start working again, you might wanna give this a try...good luck

Old 05-11-2004 | 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

On mine i went through a puddle, and then I ended up getting water stuck behiend it, between the pickups, and then it wouldn't read sometimes, then other times it would read at like 240 km/h. Try that and ifg thats not it scrub your contacts with something to buff them up and like he said, it might just be the cable. Hope this helps.

Old 05-11-2004 | 03:11 PM
|
Pro Rider

Yeah, there's a little green on the contact points of the unit and the mount. Nothing I haven't seen before on any other electrical connections. I'll use a little alcyhol and maybe a light sand paper to clean them off good. Then I'm going to pull the front wheel off and see if maybe the sensor is dislodged. I never did locktite the retaining nut on the sensor, so it might just be a coincedence that it's not working now.

Thanks for the replies and I'll be sure to let you know if I get it working again, and what I did to get it working.

Old 05-13-2004 | 02:45 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well, I pulled the hub off last night and checked everything on the sensor end. Nothing amiss there other than a bit of dirt which I cleaned up. Still doesn't work, and I wasn't able to detect if there was a break in the cable since wiggling it didn't change anything. I emailed Trail Tech tech support for advise on the problem and the suggested a couple of things to try out, all of which I had done last night, to no avail. The told me to email them my postal address and they're going to send me a new cable under warranty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I had a very fast reponse from them as well considering I'm on the most eastern timezone (Newfounldand.) Not exactly sure where they are but I'm sure I'm a good 2.5 hours ahead of them.

So I guess I'll see if the cable is the culprit.

Old 05-16-2004 | 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Trail tech is located in Washington state, I received my new cable on friday and installed it and It fixed my problem. I bet its your cable. They said some were bad and they were replacing them and so far I am happy. thanks trailtech

Old 05-26-2004 | 07:15 AM
|
Pro Rider

Got my cable yesterday!! Put the computer on the new base and passed a magnet over the sensor a couple of times and it works!!! Yay!!

Thanks for the input guys. And just once again to restate my pleasure in dealing with Trail Tech on this issue. There were no questions asked, just replaced the cable free of charge, not even any shipping charges from Washington to where I live in Newfoundland, which is about as far away from Washington State as you can get and still be in North America.