Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

paddle tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 03:55 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paddle tire suggestions

I'm starting my next quad project and am looking for some suggestions or insight on paddle tire choice. It's a VTR1000 or Honda Superhawk v-twin using the twin spar aluminum frame mated to some custom framework of my own design. It will use DS650 running gear (axle assembly , hubs, brakes, a-arms you get the picture) and will come close to DS dimensions but obviously need at least a four inch swingarm extension. I have planned this for a couple of years and have about 65% of the parts and more come every week.
I can't really find much info on streetbike motored quads although I've been involved in one project already and been around a few set up mostly for drags. Does anyone have any good info on this kind of thing. Some guys down under have built a couple bikes using VTR motors for a Pikes Peak type race called Race to the sky and I corresponded with one of them but they don't do anything but road race so not really a help.
I guess what I'm shooting for is around 100HP at about 450lbs. Gobs of low end power and can hang with the big dogs but still be very trailable. As such I don't need to go all out with the paddle tire selection and am strongly leaning toward a 23" Scat-Trak on 12" diameter rims with 12 paddle rippers with kevlar. Some say the Kevlar isn't needed but I've seen ALOT of Skat-Traks coming apart lately and anything I can add to help them I'll do.
Anyway, this looks like my biggest hope for info and any comments will be appreciated. I'd be glad to share what I learn on this.

Old 09-07-2004, 03:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

good choice but maybe less paddles 9 i think.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Hey Sandman, if you still have those 23"s, is there a chance I could try them out some trip to the dunes? I'd take it easy, just to feel them out for ride quality and gearing.
This project probably won't be rolling til deep into winter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]