Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Cleaning Foam Air Filter with Soap and Water???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2000, 05:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Rob4092 for the tip!!
I bought a can of CRC engine degreaser and cleaned 3 of my filters.That stuff is the best.I had my filters like new in about 2 minutes and it didnt leave a residue. I will never use uni filter cleaner again!

Old 09-25-2000, 12:24 PM
Range Rover

The harsher engine degreaser won't tear up the filter or glue in it?

Jason

Old 05-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cleaning foam filters

Originally Posted by HRC4EVER
GEE WIZ PEOPLE-NEVER EVER USE A HIGH FLASHPOINT SOLVENT ON A FILTER(GAS,KEROSINE,ETC)IT WILL EAT THE GLUE THAT BONDS THE FOAM TO THE SEALS AND IT DETERIATES THE FOAM AND DRIES OUT THE RUBBER.USE SOAP AND WATER OR A FOAM FILTER CLEANER-YOUR CLEANING OUT THE DIRT, NOT THE OIL SO SOAP WORKS FINE . LET IT DRY GOOD TOO
Actually, I just watched a Yamaha video on how to clean their foam ATV air filters and the first thing they said was "Use a high Flashpoint solvent." I was just searching to find out what a high Flashpoint solvent was!

Old 05-20-2016, 03:55 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything I've read about foam filters agrees with HRC4EVER to use soap and water and not solvent. The surfactants in detergent helps get the dirt out because it surrounds the particles and stops them from settling back down. I don't have a foam filter on my ATV but if I did I'd wash it with dish soap and warm water like I do with my lawn mower and other small engines.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Cleaning foam filters

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Everything I've read about foam filters agrees with HRC4EVER to use soap and water and not solvent. The surfactants in detergent helps get the dirt out because it surrounds the particles and stops them from settling back down. I don't have a foam filter on my ATV but if I did I'd wash it with dish soap and warm water like I do with my lawn mower and other small engines.
Apparently these filters are joined with high frequency but in any case if Yamaha (Grizzly quads) recommends using a high flash point solvent to start the cleaning with, that's what I'm using. They also recommend following up with a rinsing of soapy water then clean water, squeeze (never wring) the filter to speed drying. Once dry, coat, liberally, with foam filter oil. Anything else is anecdotal. If you feel better using just soapy water, that's fine.