Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Street Cycle Engines in ATV Frames

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Cycle Engines in ATV Frames

Are there any sites that have information about stuffing street cycle engines into ATV frames? I have a LT230 S and a LT250 R Quadracer I would love to modify. I got a machine shop that can do the welding and framework but no idea where to start. I need to know what can be done or what others have pulled off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2005, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

The most info I found was on this site. Read the old posts on the subject and look at the members photo pages, it will help a lot. If you get the engine next to the frame with the output sprocket lined up with the swingarm you can tell how much major frame work is involved. On mine it involved lowering the frame 2" ,raising the top bar 1" and moving the front supports 3" forward so it's a big job. It was well worth the effort for me but it helps if you enjoy the challenge of this type of work.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

I took quite a few pictures throughout the process and put them up on this website....

www.geocities.com/jonaddis842003/warrior.html

Theres really no way to guide you along the process since depending on what engine/frame combo you use it will be totally different every single time, so unless you are putting a 600rr engine into a warrior my site wont be much help, but it might give you a few ideas to keep you moving.

Biggest thing with newer bikes, not sure about older is the oil pan issue I ran into. They have such deep pans to keep oil surrounding the sump while in the extreme bank angles these new streetbikes see (kneescraping). But this pan design is not needed for something thats relatively flat all the time, and it KILLS ground clearance.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer

Updated the website incase anyone is interested

www.geocities.com/jonaddis842003/warrior.html

Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

PM me and i will help you with any questions you have. It takes alot of time, i have a LT500 with a yamaha R1 motor in it.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Trailblazer

Quadzilla is right. It does take alot of time; my first one took me about 3 months because it was an absolute wiring fiasco (can't believe dual-stage fuel injection would be hard to work with huh?). I just finished my Busa project here and can't wait for the snow to melt so I can go "cruise" around. I've built a few other 600cc quads, one with Jon's CBR600RR motor and another with a GSXR600 motor in 400ex chassis that were pretty quick as well. My advice is to get together and share your thoughts with some knowledgable people (as are on this forum) and learn from the rest of our hardships and difficulties to make your project easier. I'm very new to this forum and think its great that others share the same interests in fabrication that I do and enjoy riding 'real' quads...lol. So good luck with your project if you do decide to go that road and be sure to ask for help if you need it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2006, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

go buy a kawasaki ninja orhonda cbr and adjust the frame a bit and slap her in but take your time because when you goose it she will BRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!! and yeah it will go very fast i waned to put one in a scrammy so i can get some 4wd action through the mud hole btu my funds arnt where they should be............o you can get those engines off ebay for pretty cheaptoo

Old 03-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Pro Rider

I used to have a picture of my bosses quad. its a 86 suzuki lt250 with a 89 kawasaki 750 ninja in it
scares the hell out of me. i'll never ride it again. it will go 60mph in 2nd gear. its wicked

Old 03-12-2006, 03:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: mucky
I used to have a picture of my bosses quad. its a 86 suzuki lt250 with a 89 kawasaki 750 ninja in it
scares the hell out of me. i'll never ride it again. it will go 60mph in 2nd gear. its wicked
Only 60 in second?....62 in 1st and 83 in 2nd with the RR

Old 03-12-2006, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider

what'll it do in fifth.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Street Cycle Engines in ATV Frames