Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Odyssey engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odyssey engine swap

Hey first post on this site. I have a 1980 fl250 odyssey and it just dont got the power i want. My friend has an older ski doo snowmobile that has a 400cc engine in it and he is willing to give it to me. What do I have to look for to even know if this swap is possible? Thanks

Old 03-17-2006, 09:22 AM
SFA
Range Rover

If your asking a question like this chances are your not up to the swap.

Most snow machines I have encounterd, especially old ones are made to run in COLD weather not during warm weather, and being in the back like that would really promote overheating. You kind of need the motor right there to see if the swap is possible....size...will it even physically fit in there, how are you going to connect is to the wheels ?...a lot of thought needs to go into a swap, if you want it to work or not be a total butch job. Also what is the weight difference in these motors ? will the suspension be up to the task of carrying the larger motor ? Will the rest of the drive train hold up to the added power ? What would adding a lot more power do to the handling of this machine? A lot of things need considering.

I am not trying to be rude to you I just want you to know what goes into a succesful swap.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:24 PM
Range Rover

put a small block 350 in her

Old 03-18-2006, 01:51 AM
Trailblazer

put a small block in ha! I wish that would be sweet! I have put lots of thought into this, the problem being I havent seen the engine yet I will hopefully get a chance next weekend. I will turn the wheels using the stock clutch mounted on the axel. I am not even 100% thr engine will fit I am just hopeful. And as for the suspension, well there is non in the back of an odyssey so I dont have to worry to much there. As for powertrain I am a bit worried about the axel if it will hold up to the more power. And for handeling well that shouldnt be to much of a problem. I just want more power since I have started riding my odyssey in the winter and on the frozen rivers well it just aint fast enough. And for the summer well I will have to some how figure out if that ski-doo engine will work in the heat is there any way of knowing if it will? Thanks

Old 04-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer

i put a yammy 433 in one.extended the frame 10 inches and mounted the motor between the rear cage tubes.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum Corey64, with enough fabrication skills anything is possible. Ever see Monster Garage? I have a 350X engine and a Kawasaki Mach III 2 stroke 500CC engine and have contimplated putting both in my odyssey. Time has kept me from starting it. Let us know what you end up doing.