Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Carb Float Sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-1999, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed my new pipes on my Banshee. I checked/changed the jetting and everything seemed OK. Installation and the jetting was done the day before a MX race.

While nervously waiting my first practice run with for the track with the new pipes, a fellow rider noticed I had fuel leaking out the right carb overflow. I tried to tap the carb with a rock, but it kept on flowing. I went through practice (wow do the pipes make a HUGE difference) and returned to the pits to take apart the float bowl. I found nothing that really stood out. The float seemed to move freely and I could not see anything terribly wrong. I put everything together and it still overflowed. I repeated the steps a couple of times with the same results. Fuel dripping out the tube.

Now this was my first attempt at any carb work on the quad. (First major mod) I added the following mods. Paul Turner Mid Range Pipes, K&N Filter, removed air box snorkel, lowered needle to 4th position (stock was position 3) and increased the main jet to a 280. Other than a problem with the sliders (stuck at 3/4 throttle) I had no other problems.

I plan to take the float bowl apart and clean everything real good, but is there anything I should check? It is only the right side and I did not change or touch anything but the main jet and needles.

Slash

99 Banshee

98 Blaster

Old 07-15-1999, 12:42 AM
REX
Trailblazer

I had same problem on my R. I took carb apart 3 times before I found a small piece of something that was same color as the needle seat. I guess when I would take out the needle it would clear up, cause sometimes it would work ok for a few rides then start overflowing again. After I found the peice of stuff, I have had no problems. I dont know if that is your problem, but worth looking into, look REAL close, I overlooked several times.

Old 07-15-1999, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer

Mike,

This must be a common problem. For some reason the left carb on mine leaked from day one. I've since adjusted the float level and have had no probs.

I do have one note though. I adjusted my floats after installing my T-5's and followed Toomeys suggestions. I have no idea why, but his measurements were WAY off and I e-mailed him about it. He said they were right and questioned my procedure (as did I). I went through the same thing again with the carbs, and ended up adjusting them totally different than recommended. I don't know why this happened. Anyway, grit in the seat area is possible as well. Sounds like carb cleaner time for you. OH, hey, I ran across something you might like to know... It seems that Boyesen makes FLOAT bowls too. I saw it in their ad. I'm going to look into bowls with a main jet access plug... MAN, would that be nice...

Chuck - '99 Banshee

Old 07-15-1999, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can understand if the float is just stuck. I hope this is the problem.

If not, I did not adjust the floats when I had the carb apart. So how could it suddenly not work correctly now? (providing the cleaning does not solve the problem)

The plug on the bottom of the float bowl sounds like a good idea. But I have a question, is there a tool to remove and insert the main jet? A small socket might be difficult, I used a normal wrench to install the jet. I can see myself dropping the main jet in the float bowl, via the plug, then have to take apart the float bowl anyways.

Slash,
99 Banshee
98 Blaster

Old 07-15-1999, 02:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

this may sound lame but you might want to check and make sure your drain screw is tightended in all the way. the little screw at the bottom of you carb. just a suggestion

Old 07-15-1999, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

Ryan, Banshee carbs don't have a drain plug. That's why I mentioned that a main jet access screw would be nice.

BTW - I called Boyesen, they don't make a "superbowl" for the Banshee.... Bummer.

Old 07-15-1999, 06:09 PM

My Banshee has the same problem. I found if you pull the choke, then kick it over with no throttle until it starts, then push the choke back in it will not leak.

What tempermental pieces of junk. I can't wait until I get my LRD Kiehin 30 carbs. Mikunis (spelling) bite the big one.

Oh and by the way I believe they do have a drain screw located on the side of the carb. That however is not the problem. (Sorry Chuck they are there)

------------------

Trending Topics

Old 10-03-1999, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello,I have the same problems with a little diference.My pipes are a FMF.Icant solvent.If you solven the problem yet,please tell me it.One question for you.What measure you put in the float,20,22 mm?
Thanks for advanced.

Old 10-04-1999, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't measure the float. I took the entire thing apart and cleaned it real good. I guess there was a piece of dirt on the float needle which caused it not to seal. Once I cleaned everything, it worked fine.

I haven't had any problem since.

Slash,
99 Banshee
98 Blaster

Old 10-10-1999, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

I just purchased a '00 Banshee last week and have only ridden in my neighborhood and found that mine leaks too. As chuck was saying, it must be a common problem from the factory

------------------
Skene 2000 Banshee

Quick Reply: Carb Float Sticking?