Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

disk vs drum

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-1999, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This should be a good one. Of all the talk I see in here, the biggest argument is disk brakes vs drum brakes. Everyone wants Honda to install disk brakes on the Foreman models and the soon to be released Rubicon. But why? I personally do not see a need for this. Disk brakes do offer more stopping power. But they also cost more to design, make and install. Where disk brakes help out the most is during high speed riding when powering down into a corner. I don't think that these big bore 4x4 models are made to ride hard and fast.(not saying that you can't do it, but not made for it). Adding disk brakes will just add to the cost of these high priced machine's.
Honda does a great job of sealing drum brakes. There are no or very little design issues with the current drum brakes. So why change? Because everyone else is doing it? I don't think so. If my friend rode his quad of a bridge, do you think I would follow? Not a chance. It doesen't always pay to follow what everyone else is doing. Especially when what your doing works. If it's not broke, don't fix it.
Just my opinions, what's yours.

Chris "00" 300EX

Old 09-29-1999, 04:43 PM
Range Rover

Well I am a Honda man, but when my friend became an Artic Cat dealer. I looked into it and puchased a 400 4x4. All Artic Cats come with disk brakes. Now just speaking from experience. Most drum brakes have a problem with sealing. Especially when they have some age on them. Not only is it a problem with water entering the drum, but sometimes the water doesn't go back out. I have been working on quads for about six years now. I remember replacing brake shoes on several Honda 300's and when I took the cover off muddy water would just pour out on the shop floor.

So I guess muddy conditions would be a benefit to have disk brakes because there isn't a place for water to get trapped.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-29-1999, 04:52 PM
Pro Rider

disk brakes work even when wet, which can be a real life saver, also i ride with several honda riders and they all have problems with water getting into the brake drums,bummer, but thats the nature of the beast(drum brakes)

Old 09-29-1999, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I agree with CSTARK, properly sealed, properly adjusted drum brakes appear adequate on a utility quad, disc brakes offer advantages.

Adjustment: Disc brakes don't require adjustment with wear as drum brakes do.

"Fail-Safe:" As disc brake pads wear, the ungodly screeching sound encourages one to replace them; even if you don't in time, the mechanism still has some braking force, even as you grind the rotor and the calipers into steel filings. Drum brakes, on the other hand, can grind the shoe linings down to low, ineffective friction nubs, to the point of over-centering on the brake cam and hanging up. Yes, yes, proper inspection and maintenance prevents these extreme conditions, but disc brakes demand no such vigilance.

Fade resistance: Certainly, discs are the champ here, but the fact is of marginal signifcance to a utility quad.

Unsprung weight: Discs win; again, a marginal advantage on a utility quad.

Cost: Discs generally cost more than drums.

Now, friends, I'm going to betray my ancient age somewhat. Early in my misspent youth, I made a disparaging comment about mechanical, versus hydraulic brakes, on an automobile (retrofit kits at the time were available for converting Fords from mechanical to hydraulic operation). A master mechanic told me and showed me this fact: properly adjusted mechanical brakes are adequate for a Model A.

Similarly, back to my opening statement: Properly sealed, properly adjusted drum brakes are adequate for a utility quad.

Tree Farmer

Old 09-29-1999, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sub-topic might be: what are the characteristics of different type brake pads/shoes; sintered, grooved, etc.; which is best for different applications. For example, I KNOW my Kawasaki drum admits water and mud; what should I look for in a survivable brake shoe?

Tree Farmer