Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Prolong

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-1999, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should prolong or any other one of those engine treatments be used in a quad especially prolong we`ve all seen the comercial to what it can do.

Old 10-16-1999, 12:17 AM
bob
Trailblazer

chev i cant say im that familiar with prolong other than having seen parts of the infomecials a few times. but i can tell you that ur not spose to use automotive engine oil in motorcycles and atvs is because the oil is too "slippery" for the clutches used in atvs and motorcycles, and id have to assume that prolong is unlike motorcycle oils in that manner, but if u have a 4 stroke atv with a cvt i dont know of any problems with doin that. not to say there is no reason not to, but what ever any reason is i dont know of it

Old 10-20-1999, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, this is a little off the subject, but DON'T use engine additives that contain Teflon in ANYTHING!
Even Du Pont has tried to quit selling Teflon additive to the manufacturers that make Slick-50, etc....
The companies took Du Pont to court and forced them to continue selling to them. (Go figure.. huh!!! Damn lawsuit happy people these days)
Anyway, the Teflon additive settles in the bottom of your oilpan/resivoir during extended shutdowns (i.e. several days to a week) when you fire it up, the heavy concentration of Teflon get picked up and shoved right into your oil filter. If youre running a quality filter, the bypass engages, but that just forces wads of Teflon and dirty, unfiltered oil all throughout your engine!!!!....
There are several other problems with the stuff, just don't have the info readily available.... I'll see if I can locate it again if anybody wants a copy!!...
Sorry for Ramblin'... I just hate to see a perfectly good engine get shelled because a famous race car driver said it was great stuff!!!

Old 10-20-1999, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Personally, I wouldn't use Prolong, Slick 50, or any other additive of any type in my ATV. I know the clutch in my Warrior is a wet-disc type, so any friction-reducing additives would probably cause clutch slippage...and it might even damage it requiring replacement. Your best best is to use the recommended type of oil...SE, SF, SG, or higher (whatever the manual states)...in the right viscosity for the season...and change it regularly/religiously. Regular oil and filter changes have always been the most important maintenance you can do, regardless if it's your ATV, car, truck, etc.