Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

400EX Aftermarket Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-1999, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, the 400EX I drove this weekend had a complete system big gun pipe, and it had a UNI filter. I don't know what the carb was jetted too. My 400EX has E-series Head Pipe and silencer. I have a White brothers filter on it, which I really like. I was holding out for a Twin Air, but I just couldn't wait any longer, and I am very happy with the White brothers filter. Also, I drilled 6 1" holes in the lid of my airbox, which I then plugged with filter screens. Don't take the lid off because your airbox needs a certain amount of vacuum to perform properly. I have been told removing the lid will reduce power. I have a 168 Main Jet ( I am at a elevation of only 600 feet), and a Dynojet needle in on the third notch, BUT DON'T BUY A DYNOJET KIT THEY SUCK!!!!! It doesn't come with individual jets. Instead, it comes with an adapter that you screw the different size jets into, which means if the adapter breaks you are screwed. So, I bought indivual jets because they don't break as easy. These are the only mods I have made, and my 400 really rips. I have been very pleased with my results. Next year I plan on putting in a 440KIT with an aftermarket oil res that holds atleast and extra quart. I know no one can go wrong with the E-series complete system because not only does it look and sound awesome, it adds some noticeable torgue and HP. Also, it fits better than the stock head pipe.

99 400EX
91 LT250R
88 LT250F
85 125M
89 CR250

Old 11-25-1999, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

screw gettin'a pipe for thatpiece of crap and buy a banshee and get pipes for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by 98'blaster (edited 11-25-1999).]

Old 11-26-1999, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

I personally think we can do this without comments like that!!!!

Old 11-30-1999, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

I HEAR THE WHITEBROTHERS SYSTEM GIVE U MORE POWER THRU ALL RANGES AND THE LOUDEST ALSO. I AM GOIN TO GET THE WHITE BROTHERS ON MY 400EX

Old 12-02-1999, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer

Harlen,

Thanks for the detailed reply. And thanks to all you other guys for the responses. Harlen, you almost have me changing my mind about the Big Gun. My only concern is that possibly your buddy didn't have his quad tuned as well as you have yours. I have a friend with a 99 400EX that he added the FMF Powercore silencer to, and he was actually a little slower than my stock one!! I took pity on him though and tuned his quad for the freer flowing pipe and now he's faster than me!! So now it's my turn for a pipe and I'm not buying a FMF. I gotta be different and I believe the Big Gun and W.B. systems are better anyway. So Harlen, did you only increase your main jet? What about the jet needle and slow jet? The Dynojet kit I used to retune my buddy's quad was quite complete and I haven't seen any problems with his quad so far. I see your point about the jet adaptor, but what would break it anyway? It's just a way to keep the costs down on the kit since they include so many sizes for the price. OEM jets can get a bit pricey when experimenting! Great talking with you guys.....

Lightninn

Old 12-02-1999, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey-- I called LRD and asked them about the big gun and about the claimed 7-8 hp it gains it's all b.s. Lrd dynoed it and several other including the dmc, white bros. and more he said that the big gun only puts out around 2-3 more hp. His pipe (which he has thoroly tested was about 3-4 horsepower and he has not found a pipe better than it ever, no matter what you pay. the e-series is the only one that came close, but it's even more expensive than lrd's. you make the decition or call LRD and see what you come up with. GOOD LUCK

Old 12-02-1999, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

White Bros., Big Gun, FMF, Pro Circuit...You guys do know there are other pipe manufacturers don't you?

I know of two guys who are using others, one has a Noleen, the other dropped some $$ for the Yoshi titanium system. In my opinion both rip! I think Yoshi is the most expensive pipe you can get, not that it makes it the best. The Noleen really does sound good though, not sure what he paid for it.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 12-02-1999, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I have been adjusting my main jet and have found that 165 seems to work the best for my machine. I did install the dynojet needle on the 3rd notch, and the other mods are listed above. I do agree that LRD seems to have made a good pipe also, but I am still very happy with my WB's. I hope I helped with your decision

Old 12-05-1999, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

hi guys.
I've got that LRD pipe on ,And I must say It rips with power all through the power ban.I hope you don't mind the noise,It sounds like your ridding a Blast furnace.
It does have antireversion tecnology, (ie-steped pipe configuration),New to quads.Ask other manufactures about that and see what they say?????

Heare's pics of it. http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex/

Jetting.
Pilot,Drilled from 38-42.
Dyno needle on third notch.
Main jet 170.
6-1- inch holes in air box.(no more captin Nemo)
Stock filter.
ITP's w-XCT's all the way around.
Gearing 14/39 vs stock 15/38.

And rips "wee"

See yeaa....................................

Old 12-05-1999, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I live up in montana, elev about 3500 ft. i run a WB e series slip on, k/n filter, wb rev kit, i re jetted with dynojet, and used 3rd notch for clip and a 138 main. which was not enough. but i waited until i got to glamis to re jet over turkey day. i removed the airbox completely, installed outerwears, and a 170 main. it made a tremendous improvement. the hills i pulled in 2nd now pulled them in third.
origionally installing the jet kit was a snap, just have your service manual and follow instructions with the kit (though they tend to be a little vague).
as far as the adapter goes, i think it works fine, and changing jets at the dunes only took me 5 minutes.
as for the pipe, its loud and throaty, but i like it.
also i didnt really notice any power differences by installing a splitfire.

jason 99 400EX, 87 banshee, sandrail

Quick Reply: 400EX Aftermarket Exhaust