Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Price paid for a tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-1999, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow ATV'ers,

I offer this post not as a complaint but as a means to share information relating to the cost of dealer maintenance.

Recently purchased a '92 Honda TRX 300 to use while hunting with my Father-in-law who trying to overcome a bout with lung cancer. After delivering it to my parents house (they also live in Mississippi while I live in Houston), I asked my Dad to drop it off at the local Honda dealer for a tune-up. Keep in mind that it was running quite rich (black smoke) and I knew it had a quite a few hours on the engine. And while I consider myself mechanically inclined, I also view carburetors and Grand-Father clocks as devices that easily disassembled, yet difficult to put back together.

Total cost to clean, adjust the carb and replace several o-rings, adjust the valves (although I had already done that) and install a new air filter- $108.

I found this price to be quite reasonable, even though I questioned the need for a new air filter. The dealer replaced it after stating that the old filter did not hold up to washing.

Although I haven't seen or heard it run since, my Dad claims it now purrs like a kitten with no smoke whatsoever.

[This message has been edited by drlaney (edited 11-02-1999).]

Old 11-02-1999, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flat-rating might be a better way to look at maintenance costs.

ATV (and automobile, I suppose motorcycle also) repair shops maintain flat-rate manuals listing nominal man-hours for typical tasks.

Add up the flat-rate man-hours for the tasks performed, multiply the figure by the hourly rate of the shop, and you have your labor costs.

The labor rate for a shop in Skunk's Misery, Mississippi is probably lower than for one in my county, the most affluent county in the world (Fairfax, VA; and I ain't braggin'!).

For example, the flat-rate manual, in the Honda 300 section, might say, "R & R Carburetor, 1.0," meaning, removal and replacement of that model's carburetor should take one man-hour. Multiply that by the Mississippi shop rate (say, $ 20), or by the Fairfax shop rate, (say, $ 87.95), and you know the cost of the operation.

Bottom line: Sounds like you found an honest shop. Removing, cleaning & adjusting, reinstalling carburetor; adjusting valves, whatever else they did including slapping on a new air filter, expendables, any applicable environmental levies, etc., I think your bill is more than fair.

If cost concerns you, Honda carburetors are not as arcane and mysterious as you may think; you might consider a Honda or Clymer manual and some on-the-job training for your next tune-up. Believe me, you'll learn a lot, save some money; maybe even have some fun and satisfaction in doing it yourself.

Tree Farmer

Old 11-03-1999, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply. I thought it was quite honest as well. And truthfully, that is why I decided to have the work done in Mississippi rather than here in Houston.

I had a neighbor who worked at a local auto service center and explained how flat-rate repair pricing was done. The down side appeared to be that mechanics try to make more money by doing two jobs in same time where they would usually get paid for one. It would seem that this practice actually takes away the incentive for a mechanic to do the job right.

And besides, should the job run longer than the time allocated in the flat-rate price, doesn't the customer usually pay for the additional time?

Old 11-03-1999, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Flat-rating has at least two sides.

If a mechanic works efficiently and improves with experience, beating the flat-rate hour estimate, he may be entitled to some premium earned for his industry and competence.

An ethical mechanic won't become incentivized into performing slap-dash, slipshod, hurry-up work for more money out of the customer. A good mechanic will stand behind and guarantee his work.

Further, if a typical repair exceeds flat-rate man-hour estimates for no extraordinary reason, a good shop and mechanic may "eat" the overtime, keeping their bargain on the estimate.

All-in-all, I believe a flat-rate manual, as a guide, makes the world a better place. Otherwise, an unethical mechanic, working on the clock alone, can pad his hours (the Webster Hubble, former US Assistant Attorney General and convicted felon ("They can indict my DOG!"), technique) for whatever he thinks the customer will stand for. "Let's see; remove, clean and gap, replace spark plug; hmmmmm; how about 2.0 man-hours?"

While the flat-rate manual isn't absolute, the book provides at least a reference point, protecting to some degree customer, mechanic, and shop.

Tree Farmer

Old 11-04-1999, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider

Fishbone, a one man-hour charge (a minimum for under-hood work, perhaps?) for a five-minute job undoubtedly appears as wretched excess.

But, consider the alternative! What would the factory-trained service technicians charge neo-suburban Volvo owners if there were no flat-rate manual? Two hours? Three?

Congratulations on performing your own Volvo maintenance (General Colin Powell's hobby also); we are at the mercy of the service writers when we enter commercial garages.

Must go. Have to write a check for doctor bill for amount exceeding health insurance coverage payment. Some physicians charge even more than than the insurance company "flat-rate" manual recommends.

Tree Farmer

Old 11-04-1999, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

I understand the concept of Flat Rating.What I don't understand is the abuse that goes with it.My example: I had a Volvo that needed a new windshield washer fluid spray motor.Three different Volvo dealerships quoted me the flat rate of 1 hour for the repair.I figured I could do it myself and save the $80.It took me five minutes to take out the old motor and install the new one.Other jobs that are far more time and labor consuming such as tire rotation and balancing and oil change etc bid a lesser "flat rate" time.I am reluctant to trust the flat rate quotes as I have seen this "abuse" many times with service that has been provided me with autos(not only foreign) and toys.In response to your original post, I think the price was fair for the work done. Sorry for dragging on.