Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Stuck bolt, stripped, and stripped again, cut, help cant get it out

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2000, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I have a kx 80 clutch case that I cannot for the life of me get the waterdrain bolt out of it, at first it wasnt stripped then I went to it with a wrench and still could not get it out, tried a ratchet, still nothing, stripped it, so then I cut the top of the bolt so I can use a regular screwdriver to take it out, that diddnt work, put a wrench on the end of the screwdriver (better leverage) and ended up stripping it again, I stripped a straight head screw?! so now I dont know what to do, soaked it in wd40 for a couple days. The bolt is all messed up now, and I still cannot get it off... anybody have any tricks to do this?? have a picture if needed

Old 12-29-2000, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

You were turning the bolt in the right direction??

Old 12-29-2000, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

No problem!

I did exactly the same thing to the oil drain bolt on my son's Blaster. I tried everything without any luck. It was really buried in there!

This is how I finally got it out.

Checker Auto (Kragens) sells small set of "taps" that have reverse threads on them. What you do is drill a small hole into the head of the bolt. Then you take a hammer and pound one of these taps into this hole. You then take a wrench and turn the tap counter-clockwise. The bolt then comes out with it.

The above taps cost only $7.95 and includes 4 or 5 different sized taps. They work great!

Good luck!

Old 12-29-2000, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

...then when the flimsy reverse tap breaks off in the hole you just drilled and the screw still isn't out and the little chunk of hardened reverse tap thats stuck in the hole won't come out and you won't be able to re-drill it because the tap is 3 times harder than any drill bit... you take the motor and place it in the middle of the lake and take bets from your friends when the motor will fall thru the ice. Take the money you won and buy a new quad.
Or you could take a flat tipped punch and gently but firmly tap on the flat sides of the bolt head perpendicular to the hole. This tends to loosen the head from the surface its bolted to and the threads from the sides of the hole. I also am also very fond of a set of Vise Grips I just got that have a kind of inverted "V" on the top jaw and a kind of bump on the bottom jaw that actually clamps fully on 3 sides of the bolt/nut. If you can get them on the bolt its almost guaranteed that it will turn. If all else fails drill it out and re-tap it for a larger plug.

ps. righty tighty, lefty loosy

Old 12-29-2000, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Ill defintely have to try the vice grips, diddnt even think of that.. guess I gotta buy a pair.. its unbelievable that this little 1/2 inch bolt is so stuck..

Ive beat on it with a hammer, chisel, screwdriver, exc...

Heat might help althought I do not have a torch.. mabe I should pick one up

Dont really NEED to get it out, though I polished the case and after all that work it would be dumb to just leave it in..

Old 12-29-2000, 10:09 PM
Trailblazer

Go out and by a left handed drill bit. The bit's drill in reverse. Quite offen when your drilling with these and the bit catches on the metal it will actually spin the broken bolt right out of the hole.

Old 12-30-2000, 01:03 AM
Range Rover

Rob is right. Buy a set of screw extractors. I've had to use them a few times at my work, and they work great.

Old 12-30-2000, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

when this happens to me I clamp a vise grips on and pull the bolt outwards very hard, while spinning the vise grips in the loosen direction.

Old 12-30-2000, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

After repair is completed, perhaps a helicoil insert is in order.
Would be nice if all aluminum parts were built with helicoils...less problems like this.

Old 12-30-2000, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

what is a helicoil insert?

Quick Reply: Stuck bolt, stripped, and stripped again, cut, help cant get it out