Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Who is the best 2 stroke engine builder?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2000, 11:44 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinkin about have my 87 250R engine ported and was wondering who was the best builder's ??

Old 01-04-2000, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curtis Sparks of Curtis Sparks Racing in Bakersfield, Ca. is one of the leading engine builders. If you'll look at the top point leaders in the GNCC, you'll notice that his engines are in more quads than any other builder's. He does impeccable work, in fact I run his pipe.
I'm not sure what you hope to gain with just a porting job but Sparks could do it as well or better than anyone.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

Old 01-04-2000, 02:29 PM
Range Rover

I think hot _shoe_cv needs to look again at the top GNCC guys. I race the GNCC's and park on Pro row. Here is a breakdown of what the top ten guys used in 1999.

1 Barry Hawk - LRD
2 Matt Smiley - Duncan
3 Bill Ballance - Curtis (will use LRD in 2000, no longer riding for Kawi)
4 Chad Duvall - Duncan
5 William Yokley - CGR(Chris Grissom Racing)
6 Greg Goad - Curtis
7 Brad Page - LRD
8 Kim Kuhnle - Duncan(sometimes stock)
9 Brian Baker - 400EX N/A
10 Curtis Crump - Duncan (90% sure)

Now if you want to talk GNC, then yes Curtis is probably the primary builder.

[This message has been edited by bpace (edited 01-04-2000).]

Old 01-04-2000, 03:33 PM
Range Rover

Hot_shoe Im hopin to gain more power thats usefull for woods ridin which is primarly what I do.

Old 01-04-2000, 03:36 PM
Range Rover

Hot_shoe Im hopin to gain more power thats usefull for woods ridin which is primarly what I do

Old 01-04-2000, 04:23 PM
Range Rover

bpace,

Where are you getting this about Ballance not racing for Kawisaki in 2000?

Old 01-04-2000, 05:25 PM
Range Rover

From Bill. He is a close friend and lives about 15 miles from me. I ride with him practically every weekend.

Old 01-04-2000, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

Wow, I guess that just shows what the ATV mags know.

Old 01-04-2000, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops, I got one too many C's in there. Point is, Sparks builds many of the top competitor's engines in whatever venue.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

Old 01-04-2000, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Personally I think you can't go wrong with any of the top builders if you tell them what you want and use there whole package.(i.e. don't have duncan port your motor and then use a sparks pipe or vise versa). Most motor builders pipes are designed around there own port designs and specs. remember when talking to someone about building ur motor stay consistant with what you what to accomplish. The key to getting what u want out of any motor is to understand what u are getting for ur money and understand what each component does. I personally like LRD. I have talked with Loren Duncan, Curtis Sparks, Allan Knowles, and Arlan Lehmen about motors for the 250R and the one that I enjoy talking to the most is Arlan at LRD. He seemed to understand more about what I wanted and we communicated very well together in getting what I wanted. I am not saying that LRD is better then the rest or that the other ones make slow motors but only that in my case LRD was a better company for me to work with. Remember don't mix and match parts if you want the best results.

Hope this helps and Good Luck

JC TRX250R

------------------

Quick Reply: Who is the best 2 stroke engine builder?