Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Good sport frame to go along with 500CR engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001 | 08:41 PM
|
Pro Rider

Hi all, I think I'm gonna build my own quad. I don't see any quad really thrilling on the market right now, even without considering the price...maybe the DS650, but all these are conventional quads, nothing special.
I will use a 500 2 stroke MX engine (Maico, Honda CR, Kawi KX), and am looking for a cheap and good frame to accept this engine. I wouldn't mind going with a shee frame, since I already have one (I could swap parts if necessary). Otherwise, what good frames wold be cool? 250R? Warrior? 400EX? DS650?
If I can do it, I will put on "special" suspension,with F1 like mounted shocks (horizontal), with tons of negative travel (so I can have a smoooooth suspension).
So...what's a good frame to fit a 500CR? (don't want no race chassis, unless it's the same price as the others...don't wanna ruin myself).
(one good place to look for parts? eastcoastatv...others?)

Thanks

Old 01-20-2001 | 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

I have seen and riden both, a Banshee witha KX500 in it and a 250R with a CR500. The KX was done by a shop for a friend it was fairly easy and was quick. His only complaint was no airbox only a clamp on K&N. As for the CR it was cobbled together by some guy in his garage not nice at all.

Anyway I think either one of them would be a good choice because there are many parts available for both. Rearward kick start will be a pain and vibration because neither one has a dampner.

Riding the KX you could feel a buzzzing in the handle bars not bad but could be on longer rides. Riding the CR there was no vibration because the frame was cracked which I think is common if you don`t reinforce with gussets.

I`ve dealt with Eastcoast ATV a couple of times with no problems.

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250
See my pic`s at http://www.picturetrail.com/riskracing

Old 01-20-2001 | 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Zorro I called a place that was located in Que when I was looking for blaster parts, i think it was called Quad-pro?

Old 01-21-2001 | 01:07 AM
|
Pro Rider

rearward kickstarting?? What's abnormal with that?
I hear a lot about cracking frames with the big pistons...If I mount that on silentblocs (those rubber rounds), will it be enough to avvoid frame cracking?
You say the 250R w/ 500CR didn't look good...what especially? I will do this in my garage, I want to do it myself, no way I'll let it to a shop and say, there you go, fit this there!! And I want it to look like a factory bike...any advice (you have seen what looks nice, and what looks crappy).
Would a Tecate4 frame be good also? I have always liked Kawi (my first bike was an 80KX), and I'd love to have a Tecate4 500, with bright green frame and plastics...but will the handling be as good as a shee...or even better, as a 250R?

Old 01-21-2001 | 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

Zorro
The 250R was just a hack job. It looked like he did it overnight and used pieces of steel he found laying around his garage. I`ve read of others that have done nice ones and seen pic`s in DW.

The rearword kick start is a problem because the rear fender interfer`s with the arch. You will need to remove the rear seat & fenders on a 250R or cut the rear fender on a Banshee because they are not removable. The one I saw in DW they hinged the rear fender seat assy. on the 250R.

I helped a friend put an XR500 in a 250R frame and came across this same problem with that. Also on the 4 stroke the kick start actually hit the frame where the rear mastercylinder attached. He had to cut the frame and move it inward to clear. This also meant that the rear foot brake, mastercylinder and parts had to be relocated. This was one of the more difficult problems to over come and he still has to remove the fenders every time he has to start it.

Some sort of isolation mount will help but I would also gusset the frme too.

I`ve heard that the Kawi Tecate 4 doesn`t handle very well at speed. Something to do with the rake of the steering stem they are too straight up and down or something. It would be different you don`t see too many of them. BTW the Banshee with the KX500 in it was painted KX green with green plastic.HTH

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250
See my pic`s at http://www.picturetrail.com/riskracing

Old 01-21-2001 | 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

Zorro, there was a guy in the classifieds on this site that had an 88 banshee frame for $50.oo US but when I sked him how much to ship to chicago he said he wanted $150.oo US including shipping. The frame looked OK and it would give you a good start but I don't know if you want to deal with someone that changes the price as he goes along. The shipping should only be about $40-50.oo.
I would also develop a close friendship with a good machinist. That's what will make or break the looks and durability of your project quad.

Old 01-21-2001 | 05:28 PM
|
Pro Rider

I think I'll rhater try to deal with a shop near me, so I can get some good prices (if I buy him frmae, AArms, swingarm...), and in case the thing doesn't fit(my greatest fear), I can get back to him.
The machinist will be no other than me...just that if I need to do big parts, I'll maybe have to my dad's job since the tools we have at home aren't the biggest.
I don't know if it's better to get a complete rolling chassis, and just slip the engine in, or if I get everything separately...advantages/defaults of each solution?

Old 01-23-2001 | 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

Zorro,

400EX OEM parts are probably the cheapest you'll find due to them being made in America (I assume that helps prices for CA as well). For instance, a frame is $400, lower control arms w/ball joints are $35/ea, tie rods are $3/ea, etc... But if you could find a used chassis that included most of the misc parts, you'd probably be much better off going that route (buying individual parts for even a 400EX will add up in a hurry). A used 400EX rolling chassis would probably be a prime find, since it has nearly the same geometry as the 250R, and the little stuff shouldn't nickle and dime you to death, like it would on another chassis. Problem is finding one.

Good luck

Old 01-24-2001 | 01:18 AM
Trailblazer

A good 250R frame is the ticket. With an anti vibration steering stem or clamp. Some rubber motor mounts to take up the extra vibes. Also look into a rear fender latch where the fenders flip up, or youll just have to take them off or cut a spot. I seen the rearward latch. It works pretty cool. Ct Racing did up a pair a few years back with Leager might want to look into that. Sounds like you want some raw 2 stroke power and thats where its at. Good luck.

TRX 250R lots of mods and extras