Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Lrd Performance Specialities/ 425cc Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2000, 12:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As stated in the Oct. 99 issue of Atv
Sport Magazine they have a project 425cc big bored 400ex. The costs was 1916.00
and it produced an astonishing 43-44 horsepower. This with the addition of
suspension improvements would make this 400ex
dramatically faster all around. I am thinking about doing this? Has anyone put a 425cc Big Bore kit on their 400ex? Also according to 430ex man there is a LRD 440kit as stated in an earlier post(11-30-99.)(LRD)
Also, the Ims Kit(440) for 285.00 only kicks the horsepower from 27hp stock to 33hp. What is the biggest baddest kit out there?
I want this thing to RUMBLE!!!
I am leaning towards the LRD 425cc Big Bore Kit that will produce 43-44 horsepower.
Charles Artoux

Old 01-22-2000, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

LRD's stuff is excellent, I have a LRD Big Bore Banshee and it flys its only a 380 and I can smoke 420 strokers

Old 01-23-2000, 11:19 AM
Range Rover

Hello Hazmatzer,

Yes,
It'll take me a while to pump that much money into it. But, you know how we all get.
One thing after another until the project is complete. CT Racing has a special kits for the 400ex. One that produces 39 hp and another that produces 45 hp. Now that's power... Your friend put 10k into a 300ex.
He should of just bought a 400ex and hopped it up. Oh, well, at least he's enjoying what he's riding. Letr me know about the maeier plastic your getting for your 400ex.
E-mail me at quadfreak@yahoo.com and let me have that phone number for CEET seat covers.
Thanks Chuck, Check out wwww.ctracing.com

Old 01-23-2000, 11:40 AM
Trailblazer

ARTOUX , I CALLED TRINITY RACING ABOUT BIG BORE KITS FOR THE 400 AND HE TOLD ME THEY MAKE A 460 STROKER THAT SUPPOSEDLY PRODUCES 52 HP. A FEW MONTHES AGO WHEN I TALKED TO HIM HE SAID THAT THEY TRANSFORMED 9 400 EX'S SO FAR WITH THAT STROKER MOTOR AND NONE HAVE HAD A RELIABILITY PROBLEM SO FAR. THAT 460 STOKER IS 4mm ON THE CRANK. HE SAID THAT ANOTHER GUY WANTED TO GO HIGHER ON THE CRANK , SO THEY DID IT FOR HIM AND HE WENT 6mm ON THE CRANK , WITH A 13:1 COMPRESSION RATIO, THAT KIT ONLY LASTED A FEW WEEKS, IT BROKE THE CRANK. BUT THAT TECH GUY AT TRINITY WILL TELL YA THAT AS SOON AS YOU GO TO A HIGH COMPRESSION PISTON YOUR RELIABILITY GO TO ****. IF YOU WANT TO GO WITH THE STROKER YOU WILL HAVE TO SEND THE CRANK AWAY AND YOUR JUGG AND THE HEAD. I HAVE HEARD THAT A MAN NAMED MICKEY DUNLAP FROM PA IS GREAT WITH THE 400EX BIG BORE KITS, THE GUY THAT BUILT THE 500 EX , AND CT RACING HAS A GREAT PACKAGE DEAL ON THE BIG BORE KITS , YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THEM OUT.......

00" 400ex

Old 01-23-2000, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

From the Iowa guy with the modified Warrior. So, you too stepped up to the plate and bought a 400ex. I love my 2000 model. I have been doing a lot of research on this subject. My opinion is that if you are going to the trouble of a 425 kit, you might as well get the 440 kit. You are going through the same process with both. If the 440 kit made you do something with the bottom end, then I would understand it. Have you read the other articles about the White Bros 440 in the new dirt wheels? I have had excellent luck with White Bros products. I plan on buying the 440 kit that is 10 or 11 to 1 (no higher) The all around cam, a larger carb if necessary, and air box mods. I wish someone would test all of the different pipes because it seems that everyone has a different opinion on them. I would like the Yosh for $700 if they are all the same in loudness, just for the massive weight savings. P.S. Brandon now has over $11,000 in his 300ex. It has a 400ex front end (a arms, etc...)with Works triples w/ cans. I gave up in the pissing match with him and just bought the 400. So far I got AC propeg nerfs and new aluminum handlebars. I ordered a new seat cover and Maier plastic but it is not here yet. Will it ever end???

Old 01-23-2000, 02:45 PM
Range Rover

Mark,

I remember when we talked a while back.
Yes, I am giving the '98 300ex to the wife and am getting a 400ex next month. The 425cc kit specifically produces 43-44 hp from LRD
while the IMS Kit 440 only kicks it out to 33 or so horsepower. I am going to have to call LRD to get the lowdown. I want to have
one very quick tricked 400ex. It's probably my last quad so i want it pumped and all of the suspension mods. I want to dump about
4,000-5,000 in it to make a a rare breed.
Charles Artoux
A.K.A.quadfreak@yahoo.com

Old 01-23-2000, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

WMS1145,

I have logged onto www.ctracing.com and they have 2 sweet packages. One is a midrange power kit for $1162.00 brings the compression up to 11:1, cam, 440 big bore,
jet kit, pipe, head porting, valves lapped, etc.. It'll run all day on pupm gas and will bump the hp from a stock 28 to 39. Now that rocks. Then they have the race package I don't even know how much that costs bought
it boasts a 39mm carb and kick out a whopping 45 hp. Ct sounds good. The first one producing 39 hp is reliable as hell.
Thanks for the tip, and yes, I'll call
Trinity tommorrow as well. 39 horsepower has to be fast enough for the dirt let alone dunes, huh?

Charles Artoux
Quadfreak@Yahoo.com

Old 01-24-2000, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Charles, it is Mike not Mark. Anyway, Just to let you know my opinion. You state that the LRD kit raises the HP more than the 440 kit. If you are reading the same articles that I am, please re read them. I am going off memory here, but I think that the LRD article stated that it had a huge gain because of the 425 piston, pipe, new carb, and the head grinded on. This is the best everything that can be done for it then. The other article that talks about the 440 kit states that the 440 kit alone gives it roughly 5 hp and then the pipe gives it 7? hp, etc... They never give its hp amount in the article. You just guess. Personally, I can't believe that the pipe makes that big of a difference. My goal is to keep the stock exhaust pipe so it is quiet. However, if it makes that big of a difference..... Mike Mazza

Old 01-24-2000, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

The difference in hp on the ims kits is that they only bore it and put in a new piston. the aditional hp coming from the lrd and ct kits is because the engines have had the heads ported and probably heavier valve spings, nbot to mention the cams. i would call Curtis Sparks, he has built the fastest fours I have seen. I mean brutal fast, BANSHEE fast! CT and LRD do great work as well. I cant stand TRINITY and wouldnt recommend anything that they have. They sell a bunch of gimics. A friend of mine has a dyno, and trinity motors make the least hp. The 460 would be awesome though, as I know a guy that has one from sparks, and it will beat most all banshee's! Mike, you will never get your max potential out of that motor without an exhaust. 7hp naa probably not, but it lets all the work done to the motor work. The 7 hp you are talking about comes from the internal wrok I mentioned above. about 2-3 from the exhaust.

Old 01-24-2000, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

Brandon,

I have talked with CT Racing and they have an excellent kit like you mentioned. For $1162.00 they do the cam,piston, valve spring, head ported, etc.. It produces 38
horsepower. These are for the recreationally minded people like me who can still run pump gas and have maintenance free
trouble and have a fast engine. the head porting like you said along with the other stuff makes it quick. All you do is ship them the engine and they do the work. The IMS kit doesn't even come with a cam. And yes, obviously you need a pipe. comes with the kit. www.ctracing.com has my vote.
Charles Artoux
Quadfreak@yahoo.com

Quick Reply: Lrd Performance Specialities/ 425cc Kit