Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Painting my Frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2001, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my frame painted in the body shop part of the dealership I work at by a friend. He used some epoxy type paint I believe, whatever it was he said it was more flexible and so far its been a year and I cant complain a bit. Also mine cost me about $40 bucks to do so in my eyes I can change frame colors many times compaired to powder coating. I hear pros and cons all the time of both so its a matter of availablity and cost.

Old 02-09-2001, 11:53 PM
Trailblazer

i know away where all you have to do is clean it and shoot it. Just use self-etching primer, and then your paint, and then clear it. Its cheap and easy to do. I just compeleted mine, and this is how we did it. the self-etching primer makes it to where you dont have to sand it or anything, its great stuff. hope this helps!

Old 02-10-2001, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

I'll be powdercoating real soon, and i was just planning on keeping the bolts in the holes. Would this be ok to do? I'd much rather not have to keep track of every nut and bolt. Also, do i have to plug the holes in my swingarm where my bearing carrier was? and where the motor mount goes through? And in that hole, do the needle bearings have to be removed if i get the holes plugged? I would really appreciate some answers. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2001, 03:40 PM
Trailblazer

When I had my frame and stuff powder coated I diden't plug any holes that did not have threads, and I had very little trouble pushing the bolts back through. (only two needed to be tapped on with a mallet). For the swing arm I left my needle bearings in untill it was done then I got them out with a screw driver and hammer and replaced them. I also left my a-arm bushings in and they just melted out ( i forgot about them) They also got replaced after they were done. I think if you left your bolts in they would mess up the coating around the holes when you took them back out.????

Old 02-15-2001, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys
If you are going to paint your frame and ect you will want to sand or at least scuff it with a scuff pad.Most self etching primer still require something to bite to.Ive painted several frames now and have had great luck with single stage acrylic urethane paint.Price wise look for you local Utech supplier for a great price and product.
Just my opinion
Spencer

Old 02-15-2001, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

bansheelover,

Heres an easy way to improve the looks of your frame. Get some course scotch bright pads and a bucket of hot soapy water, scrub the entire frame, twice. (use dawn dish detergent). Get some Rustoleum spray cans, color of your choice, and apply 3 coats. Allow each coat to flash dry before applying the next. Let the frame dry to a light touch, then apply 3-4 coats of Rustoleum high gloss clear. This will give you an amazing shine, and been pretty durable as well.

Old 02-15-2001, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

bansheelover,

Heres an easy way to improve the looks of your frame. Get some course scotch bright pads and a bucket of hot soapy water, scrub the entire frame, twice. (use dawn dish detergent). Get some Rustoleum spray cans, color of your choice, and apply 3 coats. Allow each coat to flash dry before applying the next. Let the frame dry to a light touch, then apply 3-4 coats of Rustoleum high gloss clear. This will give you an amazing shine, and been pretty durable as well.

Old 02-15-2001, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

If it's reputable place they should have rubber plugs that they can put into any threaded holes. That's what they did where I had mine powdercoated at.