Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Is WARN the best winch to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is WARN the best winch to get?

Thinking of getting my first winch for my 400 Kodiak. Looking around there are options. WARN seems to be more expensive than others, but it seems to be a better choice. I would rather spend the money once then get a junk winch.

Is WARN the best? Or at least will it be a good winch to get?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like Warn. I've never had a problem with one except a rotary switch that messed up. It was a bad design that they got rid of years ago. Ramsey is also supposed to be really good but I never had one.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have any input?

Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My Polaris/Warn winch that came with my Sportsman died on me after only a few uses.
The Grizzly also came with a Yamaha winch thats also made by warn and is good so far.

I never replace the winch since I always ride with others who have a winch.
You only need one guy in a group to have the winch ,is my cheap thinking. LOL

Even when your stuck in a deep swamp hole its easy for the other guy to throw you his hook rather then you try to get at yours.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Former Sponsor

If you've got any questions about our product, don't hesitate to shoot me over a PM.

- Andy

Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Andy.

I was looking at the Vantage 2000 winch for my ATV. It would more than pull me out of any swamp I could for see myself ever getting stuck into, and it would do the other light duty weight wise I would want it to. What else can you tell me about that winch?

Also, what kind of deal can you do? Best I've seen is $149.99 after rebate with free shipping for the WAR-89020 model.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have had a Warn for several years with no issues. I highly recommend getting synthetic rope.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by sumpter12
I have had a Warn for several years with no issues. I highly recommend getting synthetic rope.
I know that the synthetic rope is more flexible than the wire. But other than that (which it really doesn't matter to me), why do you reccomend the rope over the wire?

Old 04-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CALL911
I know that the synthetic rope is more flexible than the wire. But other than that (which it really doesn't matter to me), why do you reccomend the rope over the wire?
You can handle synthetic rope without worrying about your hands getting ripped to shreds. It is also stronger and less weight on the front of your quad. Also, if it were to snap it doesn't hold as much energy as a wire cable and won't recoil nearly as much as the wire cable, so you're less likely to get hurt.

I've had Warn winches on 3 quads so far including the one I own now. Had one minor issue and Warn sent me the part quickly and it worked fine after that. They have great customer service.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the info.

I'll probably still get the wire though. The wire is rated much stronger than the winch could ever pull, and it is really hard to get it in bad enough shape to where it should be dangerous to handle or worry about breaking.

Quick Reply: Is WARN the best winch to get?