Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

400 ex engine in yamaha banshee frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm i don't know because dirt devil says they arent as friendly then you say they are.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

hmm i dont know because dirt devil says there not as friendly and you say they are

Old 06-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We had an 87 lt250r with a CT national motor, it was faster than than our Banshee which had pipes at the time. The Lt also was a lot easier to ride. That Banshee would pull wheelies all day once it hit the power band. I much preferred either the 85 or 87 LT for trail riding. But they are 2 strokes, and you can really alter the way the power hits with just a pipe. I have also ridden plenty of 250 class machines that are like a light switch, either on or off the power. Those suck for new riders because the motor demands so much of your attention. I currently have a Honda 250r, that was fairly mellow witH just a Paul Turner pipe. I could putt putt around with my kids on the 90s with it, or open her up and really rip. Again, a nice mellow Honda 4 stroke to get your feet wet, sell it once you have that Banshee later is probably your best bet. You almost can't stall a 300ex, very beginner friendly.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

i think instead of my custom project i wanted to do originally, im gonna chose a stock banshee. and yes i will be taking it easy at first because i seen what there capable of. i will also have a set throttle screw on it and for sure widen it a bit. thank you both for your wise advice

Old 06-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd stay away from the first 2 model years of the LT('85-'86) (just like everyone else)...they are narrow and sprung terribly with little to no aftermarket options...

My $0.02

Old 06-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AZ520, If you are are a new rider, neither the LT250R nor the Banshee is a good choice for you. As someone previously stated, many performance 2-strokes have an explosive burst of power in a certain part of the powerband, unlike a 4-stroke which is typically smoother and predictable. If you are not ready for this burst of power, it can lead to some major trouble. The Suzuki is strong off the bottom with good midrange. The Yamaha has a weak bottom end but an awesome midrange. I have spent a lot of seat time on both of these quads (and many others) and again, they are NOT for beginners. A 300cc and under machine would be a better choice. I am all about safety and believe in the "better safe then sorry."