Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 89 trx engine with clutch trouble. I had a stock basket and decided to buy a hinson. I put it in and smoked three clutches in six races. I put the stock basket back in and didn't have any more problems. I just purchased a magnum cluth basket with new fibers,steels, and springs. It lasted two races and it to is smoked. I have tried four different types of clutches. I have a proffesional install everthing for me while I watch. What could be my problem? Would a new Hinson pressure plate and inner hub fix this?

2001 Arens frame, Laeger A-arms, steering stem, swing arm, lonestar 2+2 axle, nacs front hubs, beadlocks wrapped with turfs and radials, graydon nerfs, Ac bumpers, renthal bars and grips, braking brake lines, white Fullbore plastic, Legacy Rhino front shocks and Legacy revalved rear

Old 05-28-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

I run the Vortex basket, and its been great..only thing with those is you have to make sure to loctite the securing screws...

I run a stock TRX clutch (stock metals and fibers) with barnett springs, and I have been on the same clutch for 2 years

what type of tranny fluid are you using? I've had success with both Mobil 1 5w30 and ATF Type F tranny fluid

Old 05-28-2001, 05:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use golden spectro. I have also had better luck with pennzoil 10w40. I change my oil after every ride or race, so it is costly to use golden spectro which retails for over $7.00 a quart.

Old 06-09-2001, 02:01 AM
Trailblazer

I currently run a 330 in my Roll Design and when I first installed the big bore kit, I had nothing but clutch problems,I have a Hinson basket and run stock steels and fibers. My clutches would only last 3 or 4 races running Maxima's racing trans fluid. I decided to try type F trans fluid and now my clutches last at least 15 or 20 races and its cheap!
good luck!

Old 06-09-2001, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

You say that you have a professional work on your quad and yet you are on here asking the average idiot for help? What exactly makes him a professional (is it his occupation or does he just call himself one)? I have seen plenty of people regularly work on bikes that know very little about what they are doing.
That being said, the first thing to check is that the clutch is properly adjusted. Make sure that the clutch pressure plate isn't being pulled AT ALL when the lever is released. If it is, the clutch plates will be constantly trying to slip. Next, check that the cable and lever/perch are in good working order. If either bind, that could also keep the clutch from fully engaging as it should. Finally, check that the rest of the engage/disengage mechanism on the engine performs its intended function with a fluid motion (no catching). I am unfamiliar with Honda clutches so I can't describe each piece involved.
I highly doubt your choice of oil is causing this quick of a failure. You said you got new springs but not what type they were. If they are the stock ones, you are probably in need of heavier aftermarket ones to handle the horsepower and additional clutch slipping involved in racing. Even if you did buy heavier ones, you might want to be sure they are for your application. A friend of mine bought springs for his Banshee, installed them, and had the same problem you are describing. It turned out that the dealer gave him the wrong springs. This can easily happen since many different springs will fit many different quads/bikes.