Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Questions on an MSD Ignition for a 250R

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2001, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Short of sending my cylinder to get ported again by someone else, I think the only place left to squeeze out some more power is in the ignition.

I have an FL350R, not a 250R, but a lot of engine parts are similar. One thing that is not is the stator plate. I could ream the holes to change the timing, but I was looking at possibly using the MSD ignition instead since it has adjustable timing.

Does it completely replace the stock CDI or does it connect after it? In one ad. it says stator modification is needed. What modification is needed?

Old 05-29-2001, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure if it will work on the FL, is the flywheel the same diameter???

The MSD Ignition is a complete ignition system. It uses the stock flywheel, pulse generator(pick-up) and stator. The advantge of the MSD is that you retain the use of lights.

The stator is modified to wire in the MSD box. Rickey Statot does it for about $100, you can do it yourself but it's a bugger to do.

In the MSd instructions they say cut the flywheel target pad, you can use the Hinson adjustable counterbalance bearing holder, but I don't know if it would apply to your set-up.

If the flywheel aren't the same diameter I would think that the timing would be off as the target will pass by the pick-up too soon or too late and cause problems. Too soon and the coil may not have enough time to fully charge.

I have called the tech dept and spoke with the design engineers about some stuff in the past and they have always been very helpful. I would arm yourself with as much information about your set-up and dimensions of the current system and give then a call.

My MSD ignition has been great...

Old 05-29-2001, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know the flywheel diameter off hand. I'll measure the one in my spare motor. I was hoping that it just plugged in, in place of the stock ignition module. They are different part numbers, but I believe the plug is the same.

The Hinson adjustable counterbalance bearing holder definately won't work. I can completely remove my counter balancer and the drive gears and the motor will run fine other than vibrating.