Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Cr electrical on a trx

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001 | 06:50 PM
|
Trailblazer

I'm currently in the process of stripping my trx250r and it is going to get a fresh powdercoating and some other goodies. My wiring harness is in tough shape. Can i get a new electrical system from a Cr 250 and put that on?? I've seen a lot of the project Rs in the magazines run them. Is there any difference? Does installation require any modification? Does anyone know what the Cr electrical system costs new?

Paul D.
'86 trx250r

Old 06-29-2001 | 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

It could be done, but it wouldn't be cheap or easy.

The CR doesn't have a lighting coil. If this is not a problem, then you can probably hook everything up easily.

If you do want lights, then it will be cheaper to purchase a new harness for the TRX than it would to purchase one for the CR and have the stator rewound and wired.

Also, the wires on the CR setup will be too short in some places, and too long in others -- you'll have to improvise.

Before you worry too much, why not call Honda of Troy or your local dealer to see what each setup will cost.

Old 06-30-2001 | 02:40 AM
Trailblazer

The CR ignition system works out great, but you have to have a special mount to attach the CR stator to the TRX flywheel (to get the proper timing). I have the complete CR set-up (2001 CR works best, IMHO), ready to plug in and go, including the correct billet mount, in stock for $459. As stated, you won't be able to run lights with the CR ignition. There is definately an advantage with the CR setup, but is it worth the $$$? If you were strictly looking at it from a performance stand point, I would say your money would be better spent on a GOOD pipe and/or porting (unless that's allready been done, of course). However, if your current ignition is junk and in need of replacing anyway, the CR ignition should certainly be taken into consideration.

lump-dog
(nitereiter@earthlink.net)

Old 07-04-2001 | 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Take a look at a PVL ign,its a bolt in with no mods.Its lighter then the CR ign.