Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Mickey Dunlap of 4 Stroke Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tripower you are so right. Too many times have I seen someone run their motor lean and say it's "FAST AS HELL" and it blow up the next weekend...now it's the motor builder's fault. I think the problem is that too many people think they can just bolt the motor in and go. They don't think about jetting or break in.

Old 10-21-2001, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

I couldn't agree more. I have seen many guys that dont tune their quad and/or break it in correctly, it blows up and they blame it on the builder or factory. Drives me crazy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2001, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

Mickey,

I have always heard good things about your work, and I am really interested in doing business with you. The only thing is, do I have to send my motor to you for the work, or can you just send me the kit?? I prefer to do my own work, and I really enjoy it, but I cant do that unless I can find a company that will just send the kit. Would it be cheaper that way due to the fact that you would not have to do any labor?? Or would you charge the same anyway? I am really hoping to do business with you on my 400ex and 300ex. I want a 416 kit for the 400ex and a 330 or bigger kit for my 300ex. What size kits do you offer for the 300ex?? Thanx,

Old 10-23-2001, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

My first thought is on Mickey's statement....."run straight 40 weight oil"......Thank you Mickey....Ive been saying that for years, I was called crazy.....I personally like the royal purple straight 50 weight, I run it in my modded 400ex......Next, I am very interested in the water cooled kit for the 400ex. Would you be willing to do another one? OR sell me the cooling jackets to do it myself? Prices?

Old 10-23-2001, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, we sell just parts. In fact, that's the way I prefer to do it - I have too many engines to build as it is. We have 380 and 390 kits for the 300EX. It would be better if you called me or e-mailed me directly for more information and details. It's best to call me between 4:00 and 7:00 p.m. EST.

We are not doing water-cooled engines. It wasn't necessary and we just did it for magazine articles purposes - it did work out surprisingly well with it and Mike Benson ended up 2nd in the Open A Class in the GNCC races this year. Next year, Mike and another top pro rider will be running an air cooled 500EX with a Nik-A-Sil cylinder and an extra oil cooler that will cool the oil temperature 40 degrees and pump it directly into the head which is where it needs it most.

Old 10-23-2001, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Mickey,
Thanks for the return e-mail.
I emailed refering the lakota sport, I've considered the three options you have, and want to go with a high comp. piston.
My question is, what comp. ratio do you suggest and do you suggest stronger valve springs.
I don't know about cams yet. I just got the bottom end working well and quite frankly I'm not ready to mess it up with cams or porting.
Maybe your practical experience can tell me other wise but for now I have to go with my gut.

One other suggestion mickey, a Q & A section to your sight looks like it will be a hit!!!

Old 10-24-2001, 11:11 AM
zoo
Pro Rider

After reading/replying in several forum subjects dealing with the good and bad points of mail order parts and engine work and having some exeriences myself in these kinds of dealings, it sometimes feels like a crap-shoot when I send parts in for repair or order by mail or on-line, with the exception of the occasional back orders and delays in getting parts back, I consider myself lucky.

I did want to say to Mickey (FST), that I think it shows a lot of integrity to come in here and answer alligations and questions. I am not questioning who is right or wrong in this matter, only that if more companies would get the clue and come in to forums such as this and find out what the ATVing community wants we might be able to avoid a lot of the problems that we read about in here.

Old 10-27-2001, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Mickey,
I know you are being asked a lot of questions, but I have a few of my own. I thought that the Mojave 330 kit used a 13.1 compression piston?? Also, I do not want the cams or porting, because I just want more torque for trails. Will the 330 kit alone add power without these other mods? Again, I know you have a lot of questions to answer, but your reply would be appreciated.

Old 11-02-2001, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Kawi250,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you - I have been backed up about a week in e-mails plus we are trying to get the 330 Mojave magazine article bike done for next weekend. The 330 kit can be made to have any compression ratio you want - 11:1 is what would work the best for you and will work good with stock cams, head work, etc. This particular magazine article we are doing is for a full race moto-cross machine and will be running 13:1.

Old 11-03-2001, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

Alright, I know it's Lurch's Mojave, and the shoot is supposed to be this month. I hope to see it soon, and I feel everyone will appreciate the work you do.

Quick Reply: Mickey Dunlap of 4 Stroke Tech?