Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Mickey Dunlap of 4 Stroke Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like ole' Mickey has some explaining to do. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2001, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

MRHP1,

I would be more than glad to answer you back. First of all, let me express my sincere apology for the inconvenience you had. 1999 was the worst year of my life. Late '98, I signed with Kawasaki to be their Race Team Coordinator and to build 5 machines for the GNCC races. They didn't get me machines until late November and I had to test, build and be in FL by 3/1 for the 1st race. On top of that, I had done 11 magazine articles and I created a monster I couldn't feed. Recuring health problems and going through a divorce took up even more of my time but for the most part trying to fulfill my Kawasaki contract was my biggest mistake. For every day I leave the shop, it puts me 2 days behind. Going to a race every other weekend, I would be gone 4-5 days on the road which put me 2 weeks behind each month. On top of that, I had to prepare Todd Knippenberg's machine for the races plus keep his practice bike going which took another week out of the month where I wasn't able to work on customer work. This left me with 1 week a month, at best, to work on customer stuff. At one time I had over 30 motors to build and more coming in. As far as getting back to the customers by phone, it is my policy not to return calls. I did a time study a long time ago on what it would take to call each customer back who wanted a return call and it added up to 1 week a month to try to return calls. This is why I have a recorder that tells when you can get in touch with me. Unfortunately, during the time all this was going on, I wasn't answering my phones at all. I was just concentrating on getting all the motors out. As far as your motor, you didn't send it in - a dealership did. This is where all the confusion came in. You wanted a 500 - the dealership told me a 435. No notes were sent in with the motor detailing what you wanted done. The dealer didn't know, I didn't know and it became very difficult to get in touch with you also. This happens a lot when customers don't take the time to put everything down on paper - they expect me to remember what we talked about a week ago and with everything else that was going on in my life, I wasn't as organized as I should have been. All that has changed now if you read the other posts. I don't know what else to tell you, except that I'm sorry that this happened. I know this may open up another "can of worms" but was the 435 engine satisfying for your riding needs? Also, in reply to anyone else "bad mouthing" me, I invite you to come on this forum with the facts so everyone can hear both sides. Just like any court in America, let the jurors hear for themselves from both parties. As far as posting, "he said, she said" stuff, that's hearsay and is not allowed in this court (I watch too much Court TV!). Thanks for the opportunity to explain.

Old 10-15-2001, 11:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well Mickey,I appreciate a response.I understand everybody runs into a little bad luck sometimes.You have me confused with somebody else,I did NOT want the 500,i always wanted the 435 kit,thats why i sent you a check paid in full for about 1400 dollars, cant remember the exact price but it was right around there.You said a 500 kit costed about 2500.So with the check I sent you,around 1400 for the 435,and the LETTER I DID send with you telling you what i wanted,you did know what i wanted.You must have me confused with somebody else.And the whole dealership thing tells me you definetly have me confused with somebody else,please dont use that as a cover up or try to make it look like my fault.I just think you got yourself in a situation that was too much for ya,and i still think you handled it poorly.I hope things are differnt for you know,and you have learned by this,and please dont do this too anybody else.Us customers pay are hard earned money for good service.About the 435 kit,So far ive had no problems with it,It is a torque monster.Doesnt have the high rpm pull i thought it would have,but the mid range is killer, runs nicely.

Old 10-16-2001, 05:33 PM
Range Rover

Hey Mickey,

I'm sorry to hear of all the problems that went on but I don't care I still plan on sending in my Mojave engine. I was wondering if you had the time if you could anwser my post about 9 post up. The one with the snake. Thanks for your time.

Old 10-16-2001, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

Hossman,

Sorry, I missed over this one. We usually run about 11.5:1 compression with the 330 kit and leave the decompression unit on it and it starts just as easy as stock. You can put a set of mild cams in it and port and flow the head, SuperTrapp pipe and get rid of the rev limiter and you will run with 400EX's easily even the mildly built ones. I do like the electric start though. We put one on Lurch's bike. We are getting ready to do a magazine article on his with 4-Wheel ATV Action sometime next month. He got married a couple weeks ago and he was up here with his machine so he has been very busy lately. If you check out one of his posts you can get his e-mail address off of his web page.

Old 10-17-2001, 01:53 AM
Range Rover

Mickey

Thanks for the info I look forward to the article about Lurch's Mojave.
As for my Mojave I'm really looking forward to the kit and upgrades. Is it best to run the kit with the SuperTrapp, because i bought a white brothers pipe almost a year ago and I would like to keep it. But if the kit runs best with the SuperTrapp then I will go with that, and just sell the Whitebros.

Thanks again

Old 10-17-2001, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Hossman,

Your pipe will work just fine. There are some other pipes that I wouldn't recommend. Also, if you need to contact me, it's best to e-mail me directly. It's easier for me and this site is not really for me to do business anyway.

Old 10-17-2001, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer

Micky, I am very intrested in your 500cc warrior kit and was woundering if you could shed some light on it, like what kind of hp gains can I expect from it.Is it all bottom end torque or does it have a ripping topend? Will it be competitive with 400ex's and banshee's? And how is the realiability an this package? Again I am very intrested in this kit so any fead back will be greatly apreacaited[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2001, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

Mickey,

I also had a bad run and I believe many on this board have also.
The only way to clear this up would be to continue the comitment to the sport and let time heal the wounds.

Guys, Going back in time to correct are mistakes would be the perfect solution to just about everything.
Now lets provide mickey and others with solutions to thier short comings instead of exsploiting them.
Obviously micky survived his perdicament and is here to stay.
I've never delt with mickey, but his comitment is shown by being man enough to come to the surface and face his short comings.
As far as the sport, how are we to move on if we can't get along with each other and unite to insure a future.

To those of you that lost money or are disgruntle, lets move ON!!!

Old 10-18-2001, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

sorry, but if a person has lost money or engine parts because of this, it is NOT time to move on. That statement is totally asinine.

Quick Reply: Mickey Dunlap of 4 Stroke Tech?