Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

X-33 axle ...questions..??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave,

If I remember correctly the DB has some kind of a snap ring on either side of the sprocket hub?
Have you called Dura Blue yet? Maybe they could send you a shim of some sort to install between the snapring and hub.

I didn't mean to sound bashy earlier. You already have the axle so use it and enjoy it. I was just trying to say if you catch big air, it might not withstand it. I say that because mine broke.

Old 09-20-2001, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, I've been having problems with the X-33 on my Raptor. Besides it being longer on one side then the other and occasionally coming loose, those stupid hubs always have to be tightened after every time I ride. Also the person who made those billet hubs had the great idea to machine it so the nut to tighten the hubs is in a hole, which no socket or wrench will fit into, so you have to wedge a screwdriver between them to keep it from spinning. Its crap like this that makes me wonder why I paid around $450.

Old 09-20-2001, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe try putting a washer on before the hole and that way the nut will tighten against the washer instead of into the hole.

Old 09-21-2001, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

There already is a flat washer and a lock washer under the nut.

Old 10-10-2001, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

I have snapped several durablue eliminators in my 400ex......It usually takes one ride on a track for me to bend them.....I had a x-33 that came in my gf's trail bike, so I said what the heck.....I put it in my ex, and have beaten it like a step child, it has yet to even bend.....Im running axis suspension all around....My 4130 chromoly swingarm busted just the other day after several hard hits, the axle has yet to bend.....Im not a durablue fan at all, but the x-33 I have is really impressing me....To the guy that says he saw an x-33 snap, Im sure it was an eliminator, the x-33 is a piece of pipe, pipe bends, I have never seen a piece of pipe snap...just a little curious.....I will let you guys no how my x-33 last....and oh yeah, the hubs are fine, just have to keep the hub bolt tight.(no wallow)

Old 10-10-2001, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

After I snapped my X-33, I called DuraBlue and talked to Gary. He made it sound like the X-33 is a very rigid axle, because it is hollow. He told me I would be better off with a Eliminator because it is solid and flexes more. My X-33 snapped off right at the groove where the snapring seats on the brake rotor side. I believe the X-33 is better suited to TT/Flattrack or drag racing, since it is a little bit lighter, but you sacrifice strength. I am not a physics major, but my experienc that a "hollow" rod is more rigid than a solid one. I didn't take into consideration that an axle does need to flex a little bit. I just saw the X-33 article on the ATV connection a while back, and decided that was what I wanted. I have a Eliminator on my 400EX, and a Lonestar on my Banshee now. They are both holding up great. I probably should not admit this, but I have done several poor, one wheeled landings from decent altitude and neither have bent yet.

Old 10-11-2001, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

Also keep plenty of "pin drive" bolts on hand... If your hub gets a little loose, the slop will snap the pin - you'll have a 1 wheel drive and a floating wheel... Not good.

Had this recently happen at a race, luckily it was just during the practice lap and I wasn't riding hard. Talked with a few other riders & this was a common problem for them as well. Unfortunately it cost me a night's hotel room and over a 6 hour drive each way, only to make it 1/2 way thru the practice lap.

Getting rid of mine.

As a side note, these are not as light as Durablue would have you believe. Mine was approx 2 to 3 lbs heavier than the stock axle it replaced (250R).

Old 10-12-2001, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Two of my buds that I race with have the X33. One rides a 400EX, he bent his with in a couple of weeks after he put it on. He got a replacement one and bent it I think the second time he rode on it. During this time my other friend was running a stock axle in his R. He had been riding with it for a couple years before it bent. He got another stock one and bent it after like one race and a couple of practices. He then bought an X33 (why I dont know,seeing what happend to the other guys' on the EX) and it snapped into right where PhilMoore said his broke. He only had it for two weeks, I dont know how much time he had on it but I do know he broke it in practice landing in the flat off of the FIRST jump of a big 90ft triple. Ive landed in the flat before to and it SHOULD NOT break anything. I could see one breaking if he done the jump, but he just rolled the first jump a little much and caught alittle air. I agree with Dill and alot of others "Dura-break".