Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

400ex Exhaust Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2000, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pam, I agree that being too loud is a serious threat to our sport. Many people like myself might love the sound of a loud pipe but there are as many people that hate it and will dedicate their lives to fighting it.

Does anyone make a decent "quiet" exhaust? Is it necessary to have high decibles to get higher power.

I've been thinking about putting the stock pipe back on with one of those special tips. Then I'd just use the E-series in safe areas.

Old 02-09-2000, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

Pam, Sorry if I offended you with my comment about loud pipes saving lives, but your own view is way out of line as well. The comment was a spoof on the bumper sticker, and was also done in a tongue and cheek way. Why must people always find something to argue about, I was merely trying to convey a point to which trailmix made, as well as answering the question which was asked. I find the majority of the posts you make are relevant and are informational but as you said:

Get a grip here

Get real! If you're riding with any speed TOWARDS another rider -- they're not gonna hear you unless they're bike is shut off ( or say they're riding a stock TRX 90).

Come on, as you said what about someone who has shut down their bike, or even if someone is walking down the trail with their 3 kids???

This noise issue can go on forever, but I don’t want to argue to point, because there are two sides that make sense under the right circumstances.

Please stick to the relevant nature of the posts so we don’t have this ridiculous arguing

Old 02-09-2000, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer

I just talked to FMF about their new Power core squared silencer, I has a square core inside it and the say it outflows any other unit on the market and has the lowest sound output. They said it will be available in two weeks, I'll let everyone know what its run and sounds like when I get it as for right now I'm running a Uni filter, modified air box and raised the needle one notch.

feara400 and Team400EX
What jets are you running with your power core?

Old 02-09-2000, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

I just talked to FMF about their new Power core squared silencer, I has a square core inside it and the say it outflows any other unit on the market and has the lowest sound output. They said it will be available in two weeks, I'll let everyone know what its run and sounds like when I get it as for right now I'm running a Uni filter, modified air box and raised the needle one notch.

feara400 and Team400EX
What jets are you running with your power core?

Old 02-09-2000, 07:20 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry

Old 02-09-2000, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Trailmix,

Well, the 400EX is a different animal from most other four strokes -- it LOVES to breathe!

In most cases, a stock engine needs lots of backpressure in order to respond well at lower rpm's. This is the case for the 300EX, the Warrior, and any other 4stroke quad out there. The 400EX is the opposite. Even in stock form, it likes an open exhaust.

So, in answer to your question, is there a quiet system that works? Not really. The most you can gain from a "quiet" system on the 400EX is about 3% - 5%. Honda actually has a really nice stock exhaust on there, that's why you don't see much of a gain from replacing it (until you go wide open!).

With an open race system, you can gain about 15%. The downside is, an open system on this quad is in the 108 - 115 dB level!!!! This is about 4 1/2 times the sound level of the stock system.

You can get a "happy medium" with most of the disk systems out there -- like the Supertrapp IDS system. It'll be relatively quiet ( 94 - 98 dB) and gain you about 8%.

Old 02-10-2000, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Ill have to check get back to ya tomorrow By the way, Good to hear from ya again pam!

Old 02-10-2000, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

Lets see, so far we've only heard about three exhausts - White Bro's E-series, FMF Powercore IV, and the Big Gun. How about some more?

Old 02-12-2000, 02:49 AM
Trailblazer

Ok then, how about a LRD complete chromed system.
It is sweet when talking about sound,performance and looks, but the one I got dosn't fit up as square as I would prefer.

Old 02-12-2000, 02:51 AM
Trailblazer

Ok then, how about a LRD complete chromed system.
It is sweet when talking about sound,performance and looks, but the one I got dosn't fit up as square as I would prefer.

Quick Reply: 400ex Exhaust Poll