Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

400ex Exhaust Poll

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2000, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone here seems to have about any exhaust system out there for the 400ex. I want to know what is you opinion of your after market exhaust, how does it perform and how much noise are we talking about . I was almost sold on the big gun system until I rode it, it ws with a K&N filter and 160 main jet and no air box lid,running it against a stock 400ex with just a Uni filter it would run dead even after switching bikes the results were the same. I have been looking a the new FMF Power core IV squared, Pro Circuit, and the complete LRD system. Let me know what you have and your opinion of it or any other suggestions .

Thanks
Joey

Old 02-09-2000, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

I have the White Bro's E-series silencer and K&N air filter on my 400EX. I wouldn't say that there is a big difference in power between stock and this unit. From my seat-of-the-pants perspective, I'd say that it revs quicker and has a little more mid and top end. However, it lost some of the low end grunt that the stock pipe had.

As far as noise is concerned, there is a huge difference. On a calm day I can hear my 400EX sitting at idel from about 300 yards. And when I'm riding it through the woods with a friend who rides a Banshee, he says he can't even hear his own engine because all he can hear is mine. I have had a couple "tree huggers" complain about it being too loud. I feel bad about this because I don't want to turn people against ATVing. I bought the quite core insert from White Bro's in hopes of being stealthy- that was a waste of $36. That thing is so restrictive and sounds so bad that you'd be much better off with the stock exhaust; I had it in for about 15 minutes before I took it right back out.

I actually like the sound of the E-series silencer. Most people like the sound and say it sounds like a Harley -it has a very deep powerful sound. One benefit of a loud pipe is that people can hear you coming from around a trail corner and slow down or get off to a side.

Old 02-09-2000, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have 99 400EX with FMF Power Core IV. First of, its loud! But it does have an advantage. The low end snap is a very impressive increase compared to stock, but its loud! Ever rev a harley up inside your garage? Thats what its like. I like it though. The pipe is a good investment in bolt on performance. Hope i helped.

Old 02-09-2000, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

I too have the White Bros E-Series slip on with 12 discs. I am running a 165 main, Uni Filter, and 6 holes in the airbox lid. The pipe is definitely much louder than the stock silencer, but I love the sound. It sounds very similar to the stock YZF400 (If you have ever heard one, you know what I am talking about)If you are looking for a quiet pipe, this is not a pipe for you. But as trailmix noted, it will alert people that you are coming. LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!
As for the power, I find a tremendous increase in the bottom end, and a moderate increase in the mid range and top. I have only run the machine in the snow since the pipe installation, so gauging the overall power increase will have to wait till the warmer weather. Another point which I find to be a plus for this pipe is when riding with a group. I find the 4th and 5th gears are quite long and will rev forever with the stock silencer. It is sometimes tough to gauge where you are in the powerband when riding with a group. I feel that with a pipe, you have a much better "feel" for the machine, thus better able to smoke those Banshees through the woods! Let the beast breathe!! Trailmix, how many discs are you running? I am thinking of running 18, but that will be even louder. Hope I helped shed some light on your question.

Old 02-09-2000, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

I had a FMF Powercore IV but it was way too loud for the private club's woods where I ride. I bought a Stroker SX-1 with the additional Quiet Tip. I have had them ordered for almost two weeks and have not heard word one from Mr. Larry Roessler (owner) as to where in the hell my pipe is! Gets a little frustrating when you sell one pipe on the hopes of getting your new one in before the race season starts (Feb. 12). If and when I get it, I will post the results.

Old 02-09-2000, 01:56 PM
Trailblazer

I too have the White Bros E-Series slip on with 12 discs. I am running a 165 main, Uni Filter, and 6 holes in the airbox lid. The pipe is definitely much louder than the stock silencer, but I love the sound. It sounds very similar to the stock YZF400 (If you have ever heard one, you know what I am talking about)If you are looking for a quiet pipe, this is not a pipe for you. But as trailmix noted, it will alert people that you are coming. LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES!!
As for the power, I find a tremendous increase in the bottom end, and a moderate increase in the mid range and top. I have only run the machine in the snow since the pipe installation, so gauging the overall power increase will have to wait till the warmer weather. Another point which I find to be a plus for this pipe is when riding with a group. I find the 4th and 5th gears are quite long and will rev forever with the stock silencer. It is sometimes tough to gauge where you are in the powerband when riding with a group. I feel that with a pipe, you have a much better "feel" for the machine, thus better able to smoke those Banshees through the woods! Let the beast breathe!! Trailmix, how many discs are you running? I am thinking of running 18, but that will be even louder. Hope I helped shed some light on your question.

Old 02-09-2000, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider

2000EX, I have all 12 disks that the silencer came with installed. I'd like to try adding some more too. I never rejetted the carb or modified the airbox lid, but when I took the engine apart a couple weeks ago it didn't look like I was running too lean. One thing I'm going to try is install 40 and 42 slow jets for more low end.

Old 02-09-2000, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Double posting -- sorry guys!

Old 02-09-2000, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

" But as trailmix noted, it will alert people that you are coming. LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES! ""

What!

We're not street riding here. Even though a minor argument can be made for loud pipes on street bikes -- how can you say it's going to help you out on the trail?

I guess if you are in the blind spot of a utility quad, and it tries to get into your lane on a trail, but is able to hear you first???

Get real! If you're riding with any speed TOWARDS another rider -- they're not gonna hear you unless they're bike is shut off ( or say they're riding a stock TRX 90). Always ride as if there were someone coming at you around a blind corner. Anything else is asking for trouble.

Loud pipes on trail bikes WILL save lives -- because it will close trails and keep idiots from riding!

Get a grip here.

Loud = Closed.

After spending countless hours at meetings and writing letters to keep our riding areas open - the worst complaints I get from non-riders are regarding NOISE issues.

Look, I'm not saying they're right -- but we're playing in their sandbox, so we've gotta go by their rules.

You want to play by other rules -- buy your own sandbox!

Old 02-09-2000, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, double posted.

Quick Reply: 400ex Exhaust Poll