Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

engine polishing help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok someone help me out PLEASE! id like to polish my engine but have no clue could someone tell me what compounds to use how to use them lol sorry but i never looked into this befor also i seen in these kit's that have the smaller bits and stuff for small spaces and come with some buffing wheels and stuff can anyone help me find one of these kits thanx for any help u can give

Old 03-09-2002, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

first remove the paint, get some auto paint remover. Then get some mothers aluminum polish and go to town on it

Old 03-14-2002, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Alright dude.U have a 250r right.Well the clutch sidecase,stator cover,and both center cases will be the easiest.I have my stator cover looking like a mirror as well as my clutch sidecase.I am getting new center cases so I haven't done those yet.

Basicly what I have done so far is use about 1000 grit sand paper,steel wool,an electric motor with a buffing wheel,buffing compound,and mother's aluminum polish.Start out by completly removing all the paint with the sand paper and steel wool.

Then bring it to a dull metal with the sand paper and steel wool also.I bought a kit from sears that has 3 buffing wheels and 3 different grades of buffing compound.(the different compounds are for different materils)The kit was only 10 dollars and saved me alot of time.So know U have your cases to a dull metal.Basicly just put the buffing compound on the wheel(hold it up against the wheel intil enough is on the wheel)And get to polishing.After U have have it pretty shiney break out the rag and mother's alumunim polish and bring it to a mirror finish.

The cylinder is a little different.I have been sanding on my cylinder for the past 2 nights so far I have 8 hours in it and I haven't even starting on the other side.I can't see myself at all.I have mainly been rounding it off a little bit more and getting all the crappy factory welds off of the cylinder.The cylinder has alot of small bumps(The whole thing is covered)I have been using 60 grit to remove the bumps,welds,and rough spots,Then going straight to 1200 grit.I think I should have the cylinder done next week,.

I hope I have helped.