Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Leager,Roll,Lonestar Who's #1 XC

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2000, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who makes the best A-Arms and swingarms for XC?
Thanks for info,

Old 02-22-2000, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Don't waste your money unless your stock parts are broken or unusable. You are better off spending the money on excellent shocks than buying overpriced a-arms and swingarms. I use Laeger myself but I race MX and XC with the same setup. +2/+1 arms and an 88 length swingarm. You won't ride any faster or longer or better with a Lonestar sticker on your swingarm or a-arms. In fact, you can call these companies and they will give you some die cut stickers for free. Then you just put those on your stock parts and you are set.

Old 02-23-2000, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

I would have to agree on getting the better suspension...

I might disagree a little with the comment about the swings and arms... The A-arms are going to make a more noticable difference than a swing arm will...(if the stock suspension is changed along with it)

I also race MX with my banshee..(lonestar).
The problem most riders encounter on the track is not lack of ability...It is usually lack of stamina... A heavy, narrow, tippy quad will be more taxing on the body than a slightly wider possibly lighter machine...

The main reason I upgraded to the better shocks/arms/swing... was to be able to go through the ruts/whoops/jumps faster than I can with the stock settup, which became "swappy" on long bumpy runs.

With the better suspension, wider stance, and now lighter quad....I am able to keep a faster pace much longer than before with the stock settup.
It all comes at a cost though...and it's not very cheap....there is alot to think about...If you go out and buy a nice set of front suspension for use with your stock settup...You will find that your going to have to get new shocks again when or if you decide that the next step is wider or longer...because the stock length shocks will not work with extended A-arms...

Good luck.

As far as Who is the best out of the brands you mentioned.... I guess thats up to your pocketbook. All those brands come in basically the same dimensions...I guess there could be weight differences, but I'm guessing it's not going to be that dramatic.

Old 02-25-2000, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Perhaps my reply was a bit unclear. By saying that you won't ride faster with wider a-arms I meant that for XC racing doesn't require the use of wider arms. In fact, you probably would run into some problems if your bike is too wide. I know that I have had some problems with +2 arms fitting through the woods. I actually am going to start using different a-arms for MX and XC. That is the best way to do it. Your first purchase should be for some better shocks though.

Old 02-27-2000, 02:12 AM
Pro Rider

so you are saying that you can't get extended A-arms to fit your stock shocks??

Old 02-27-2000, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

From what I have seen...If you use stock length shocks with extended arms...you will lose some ground clearance up front...and the angle of the shock could be off...causing binding..And possibly a bent shaft on the shock.

Old 02-27-2000, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

so you gotta buy extended shocks for you extended a-arms? you would have to buy all that stuff at once which would be real expensive. I might do that to my 300 ex later on.I don't race very often but ride motocross for fun alot.I want it to be more stable in the corners and I don't know if just new shocks will help that very much. well later

Old 02-28-2000, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

You absolutely do not have to get aftermarket shocks if you get extended a-arms. If you were to buy a Laegers Pro-Trax front end or a Roll Lobo front end then yes you would need shocks. These kits are well over $2000 so I doubt you would get one anyway. Now, as for the shocks. Extended a-arms are extended past the shock mounts so the shock mounts are in the exact same place as the stock arms. However, wider arms will give more leverage so the stock shocks are going to sag a lot more because they are not setup for the extended length. If you plan on racing MX with it, you definitely don't want to use stock shocks with extended arms because they will bottom out like crazy. If I were you I would by some shocks for my stock a-arms first. You can always have them revalved at a later time if you want to get some extended a-arms. What you really should do though is keep on riding your bike bone stock. Save up as much money as you can so you can get shocks and a-arms at the same time. While you are saving you will become such a strong rider because you will have to compensate for the mediocre stock equipment. When you are finally ready to buy those arms and shocks you will already ride so fast that the new parts will help make you fly. Trust me, this works!

Old 02-28-2000, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

I saw a kit at www.kandkatv.com that came with lonestar a-arms,lonestar axle,ancd TCS shocks for somewhere around $1800. I might eventually save up and buy that.later

Old 02-28-2000, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

no it was $1600

Quick Reply: Leager,Roll,Lonestar Who's #1 XC