Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

ProFlow - Do I need one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read posts about proflow clamp style filters . I was thinking about ordering one. I am a little confused? How does it attach, do I really need it, and can I get a K&N to fit it or should I use the prodesign 2 stage filter?

I have a 01 Wolverine

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2002, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

newwolvy
The ProDesign Pro-Flow is something all Yamaha quad owners should own. The stock air filter will leak dirt into your carb than into the motor, this is bad for you "$$$" and good for the dealers. The way it attach's is 1. slips into the slot like the stock filter 2. then two screws go in the front and clamp the base plate to the airbox. You then hose clamp the air filter to the base plate. "I" would ALWAYS run a foam filter in the dirt, (I know some will disagree). You can order it with either Foam or K&N.
You can order one at www.prodesignracing.com

Old 04-30-2002, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks
I am new to Yamaha, and heard many discussions between foam and k&n. I mainly ride trails, and moderate mud. Do foam filters have better flow or performance than stock? Is there a difference between Twin Air and Pro Design?
thanks again this forum is very helpful.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the new Twin Air adapter plate and filter,it has a thick aluminum flange just like the Pro Design,and the 2 stage filter is huge,and it costs almost 20 bucks less than the Pro Flow. I will be installing mine soon and see how it all fits.

Old 04-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Range Rover

I would recommend the Pro Flow kit. My foam kit was a cinch to install and it makes me feel much better when I know that no dirt is getting into my engine. Leave that stock design on there and it'll kill your engine in no time.

Old 05-01-2002, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Here's a few things everybody should be aware of:

1. The stock mount does suck. True. But, if you put two small bolts through the top of the stock mount and airbox you will have a foolproof/dirtproof fit without spending any money.

2. The Pro-Flow WILL LET DIRT IN if it doesn't mount good and flush with your airbox; I've seen it happen with sand getting in. You really, really, need to put a film of silicon sealant between the aluminum and plastic airbox to be sure it's sealed properly. That crumby, thin O-ring they give you doesn't do much good; it's too thin. Think about this, your airbox is plastic and not perfectly straight, there is no way this makes a good mating surface for yout pro-flow. Use silicon.

I'm done.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

I second what Duner said about drilling the stock parts. When both of my banshees had the airboxes, I ordered the pro-flow for one. The other had a k&n that fit the stock mount, but won't work with the pro-flow. After I saw how simple the proflow was (just like the stock plastic piece only aluminum) I decided to drill holes and bolt the stock one in place. I too used a bead of silicone between the box and adapter. This works as good as the pro-flow.