Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

best power kit for the 400ex??????

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats up? my buddy has a 400ex whats the hook up for this bike ?????
what pipe??
jet kits??
cams??
something??? the bike is stock.... needs something....
please reply
thanks....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])

Old 05-13-2002, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

jetting and airbox mods are the best start, realy helps alot.

I seen the pipe shoot out for the EX and to be honest they were realy close, so I believe what ever brand you want is a good one. Although sense the 4 stroke wars every ones hot on the sparks system.

I used a few different cams in the 415 kit, I realy liked the sparks national XC drop in cam. To be honest for the stock motor save a little money here, get the Xr-400 cam.

A degree key is also a cheap source of power.

With these mods you will have about $500 rapped up in it and it will run much stronger.

Old 05-13-2002, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

Don't forget the one tooth smaller front sprocket: cheap and easy.

Gaff sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I think I'll try some of that stuff too.

Old 05-13-2002, 12:49 PM
Range Rover

HEY GUY'S thanks alot..... i will let him know... but keep em comming.. any and all info will help....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-13-2002, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

greenbud, boy do I remember those days.

Hay it all comes down to the amount of money he wants to spend, that would make it easier.
Thier is so many combonations for the EX and what type of riding, ie: dunes, drags, XC, MX and so on. The best way to mod something is to fit the rider with his/her type riding.

Like a full race cam 415 kit with heavy porting and a 39mm carb would be just awfull for a guy who rides trails but would be a duners dream, see what I'm getting at.

The mods I listed earlier is just awsome all around kit that puts out a bunch more power than stock. Thier is a bunch of options here for the EX with a mountain of potential to work with.

Like I said before, just post the type of riding and budget and it makes it so much easier.
Gaff

Old 05-13-2002, 02:58 PM
Range Rover

ok lets see...... most of the riding is done on trails, drags, some hills and mud... money?!? i say $1000 to $1500.. im not sure but it sounds good to me.. see the thing is that i don't know much about the 4-strokes.... i'm 2-stroke all the way.... but you have been a great help so far [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]thanks...

Old 05-13-2002, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I just built one like this last month. This thing rocked, unbelievable power. Good for every thing you just said you wanted to do, yet had no problems lugging around in the woods with the ole lady and kids.

Powroll 415 kit 10.8:1 (still safe for the stock rod) $234.95

Powroll clear air box lid (real cool looking to) $30

Hinson or Barnett clutch kit (I keep with hinson due to the owners usualy get a hinson clutch basket later) $140

Sparks exhaust $500 (I used a pro circut but they are in love with this one)

Sparks CDI (very cool) $115

Filter (Ilike K&N, you can get uni) about $50

Sparks GNCC drop in cam (uses stock springs, saves on rockers and springs) $375

Jet kit (I use dynojets you may perfer just upping the stock jetting) $50

www.wesleeve.com (bore cylinder) $60, includes shipping

and then you have the porting of the head. I would say your aplication stick with the mid or mid to top, stay away from the top, it takes the fun out of the bottom and the woods riding.about 1700 at this point. You pick what you want to save at, this is some real awsome stuff and will have to go pretty long and far before you find any one to beat you

Man the one I did last month was awsome, unbelievable power. The 415 revs quicker than any thing, most say it will beat the 440, I did a 440 with full race every thing and it was a stump puller, but I would stick this against it any day. Plus alot more reliable and safer to run.

I also would keep the stock carb for atleast a while. the 39mm is about $400 and a modified stocker is about $150. I liked the modified stocker the best, but the stock one wasn't lacking nothing.

The biggest thing is to get the motor done, engine builders will take untill late fall for sure, and cost a fortune.

Do what I listed at the top and he will absolutely love this thing. If he ops to go full race well a carb will be needed and a top end porting and a top end cam, but bye bye woods or goofing off.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2002, 08:40 AM
Range Rover

hey gaff!!!! how about a scrambler 500 h.o. 2w/drive. whats the hook up for this bike ?? has clutch & belt and pipe.. needs more port job? cam?? something..
like my other buddy $1000 to $1500 he also does the same kinda riding, trails ,drags, hills.. that stuff.. well thanks....

Old 05-16-2002, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a JE 10.8:1 piston to go along with a .080 bore and added a XR400 stock cam in my 400ex...man talk about a wake up call. I previously had a full exhuast, K&N filter and jet kit, and lightened flywheel. It's not a rocket ship,,but the power over stock is tremendous. I'd leave the CDI stock since the power drops off on a 400ex way before you'll ever need those extra RPMS,,plus your taken a chance of blowin up your motor, you can also leave the stock clutch basket in if it's a newer 400ex,,mines holding up just fine. And the piston, gaskets, cam, and new valve seals cost me less than $300..for the same motor upgrades I listed go to the link below for the best prices in the US..

http://www.motorcycle-atv-pwc.com/

Old 05-21-2002, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

What all is needed to install the XR400 cam? What kinda power increase are we talking about?