Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Piston Chipping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my banshee, there's a problem with the right side piston having been chipped. I was riding it one day and the motor kind of froze up on me, when i went to kick start it, it didn't want to move at all? I tore it apart and put a little oil in the cylinders and they moved just fine, but i also saw that the right piston was kind of chipped around the edges. is it possible that air could be getting in there? I need some help

Old 06-06-2002, 09:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

this isn't good! have the cylinders been ported? maybe the ports need chamfered,is the cyl. wall scored any? maybe a ring problem..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-13-2002, 02:29 PM
Pro Rider

Without seeing the actual piston, it is hard to say what happened. The basic causes could be advanced timing, running lean, broke ring, loose piston. If the ring is still complete, you can rule that out. Next, does the piston have a chip out of it, or does it just look pecked up (like you took a punch and hammer to it). A chip can be caused by a loose piston or a ring that was stuck. Advanced timing will cause the out 1/4 inch to look pecked up. It will be pecked up all the way around the piston. Running lean will also look pecked up but usually around the outer edge 1/8 inch.
Look to your spark plug next. If it is started to melt or looks pitted, your timing is advanced. The plug also will tell you about timing.
If you ask how it could have gotten advanced since it is fixed timing, sometimes the CDI will advance itself before it goes out. I have seen this happen on atv's and bikes.

My personal opinion on what happened: You have a rod bearing on that side that is bad and a piece of the bearing made it into the topend and bounced around on top of the piston. Check your rod bearing for play. If you aren't sure what to look for, you don't want any up/down freeplay and you don't want to be able to twist the rod.
Let me know what you find.

Old 06-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

The top right half of the piston looks like someone took a chisel and a hammer and started pecking at it. for some reason there was no gas going through my carbs and that caused the pistons to scar up the cylinder walls. the chipping, i have no idea what could have caused for them to do that, but the rings were melted on the piston.

Old 06-24-2002, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

Best thing to do is, take cylinder to shop & have looked at. Match it up to a new Nix Pro-X piston, & rebuild.