Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

250r Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2002, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your carb sounds like the needle needs to be replaced. Take it off and take the float bowel off. Take the float off and take the needle out and look at it. On the tip of the pointed needle look and see if it has a ring around it. If it does than you need to repace it. I think that the 250R carbs used metal tipped needles under the float. If it has the rubber tipped needle and it has a circle ring wore into it than this is your flooding problem. Although it may be as simple as some trash keeping the needle from seating in the seat.
Something else to look at is the float. Make sure it doesn't have any gas inside of it. Just shake it by your ear and you will hear it if it has any gas inside.
You need to take care of the flooding problem before you can fix anymore problems that you might have.
Good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2002, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Thats sounds about right for the flooding. I havent messed with that yet, probably will tomorrow. Im wondering if I change to a hotter plug if that will hurt or change it a whole lot. I am currently running a #8 plug. Would a #7 be to much or not? I was also considering running maybe a 39mm carb on it. What kind of a change in power could I get with a new oversize carb. I was also thinking about the Delta 2 reeds. Would it be worth the trouble? Any suggestions there?

---------
td250r
86 trx250r
97 warrior

Old 07-07-2002, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vilnrk thanks for the tip. solved my jetting problem. plug/coil wire.

Old 07-07-2002, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

cool you are welcome[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2002, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

td250r, A Delta2 system is the best mod you can do to a two stroke in my opinion. As far as your problem, I always have to cut the gas off on my two stroke when not riding. Why did you bore cylinder if that was not your problem? I think it is a needle problem. If needle is not adjustable, you can shim it!

Old 07-14-2002, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Well, still having the same problem. But I have a new idea now, I pulled the cover off the stator, and it was wet. Seems to coming from a bolt behind the stator. One of the bolts on the counter balancer? cover is broken, but I dont think it leaking from there. Seems to be behind the stator. How much of problem is it to pull the stator to get to the bolt. I think this is causing my R to have a weak spark, and cutting out after about half throttle.

2fat4moto- I didnt get it bored out any, thats just the size it was. I had it honed out and put a new piston in it. Probably still get new reeds, but I dont think that is the problem.

Any suggestions? Hopefully planning a trip to Little Sahara next weekend, and need to get it going good for that.

-------------------
td250r
86trx250r-sick [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Well, still having the same problem. Weak spark and no power. But I have a new idea now. I pulled the cover off the stator and it was a little wet. Would this cause a weak spark? Seems to be coming from a bolt behind the stator. One of the bolts on the counter balancer cover? is broke, but I dont think that is the problem. How much trouble is it to pull the stator to get to the bolt behind it?

2fat4moto- Sorry to misinform you, I didnt get it bored out any more thats just the size it is. Just put a new piston and rings in. Had it honed out. Im probably gonna replace my reeds anyways, but I dont think this is causing the problem.

Need to get my R running soon, hopefully going to Little Sahara next weekend if I get it running good before then. Any help or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-------------
td250r
86trx250r-sick
97 warrior

Old 07-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

Well, still having the same problem. Weak spark and no power. But I have a new idea now. I pulled the cover off the stator and it was a little wet. Would this cause a weak spark? Seems to be coming from a bolt behind the stator. One of the bolts on the counter balancer cover? is broke, but I dont think that is the problem. How much trouble is it to pull the stator to get to the bolt behind it?

2fat4moto- Sorry to misinform you, I didnt get it bored out anymore thats just the size it is. Just put a new piston and rings in. Had it honed out. Im probably gonna replace my reeds anyways, but I dont think this is causing the problem.

Need to get my R running soon, hopefully going to Little Sahara next weekend if I get it running good before then. Any help or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-------------
td250r
86trx250r-sick
97 warrior

Old 07-14-2002, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry about the double there. I kept getting an error message when I tried to post it so I typed it again, and I guess it worked.

-----------
td250r
86trx250r
97 warrior

Old 07-20-2002, 05:40 AM
Pro Rider

Delta force 2's are the best you can buy. I wouldn't put a 39mm on a relativley stock machine, The 38mm PWK air stiker will work well. If any of the bolts on the counterbalancer bearing holder are broken, or the bearing holder itself, you would be a very wise man to replace the broken parts. When the counterblancer goes on these motors it is expensive and time consuming to repair. The broken bolts and bearing holder are very common on these motors. There shouldn't be any oil under the stator cover, so make sure that oil is not coming from the counterbalancer bearing holder area. Do you have any problem getting your machine to idle properly? When you have the side cover off, grab the flywheel and try to move it up and down, there should be no up and down movement at all. If there is you have bad crank bearings, which will destroy the crank seal, which will cause a lean condition because air is being drawn into the crankcase from an area other than the carb. I would stop messing with the different spark plugs until I got the problem straightened out. You should have a flywheel puller to take the flywheel off and access the stator. They make them specifically for your machine (I believe it's the same one as for the shee) and they don't cost much. Are you useing a spark tester to determine a weak spark?? You should meter all of your electrical components according to what you service manual specs as a starting point with the electronics.

Quick Reply: 250r Needs Help