Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

TRX350X Conversionn

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002 | 03:50 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I am doing a 350x conversion on my 300ex and I am trying to make a step by step procedure.

1. Remove upper rear left motor mound bracket or grind engine
2. grind 1/16 off Oil bolt in head or notch frame
3. Wiring: Switch the postion of the black/red with the Black/white in the two wire connector on the CDI side.
what is the second step in connecting the wires by the stator? there is three wires in the harness but only two wires in the red connector. any ideas

4. Exhaust either buy a POwroll or use a DG head Pipe and cut 1.5" from it
5. Decompression release use the Bracket from a XR500 that wraps around the top of the case.
6. Oil cooler relocation cut and extend tubes

Old 08-20-2002 | 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you allready have it figured out...

I would just buy the kit from POWROLL unless you can fab up your own mounts and such...

Old 08-20-2002 | 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

The engine bolts right in minus the back upper motor mount. There's not a whole lot of fabbing to it other then using washers and rewelding the mount back in place. What type of header are you going to run?

Old 08-20-2002 | 11:16 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

well i am trying to get all the bits and pieces from the other posts and put it into one big pile. At my work I have Access to a full Machine shop so the spacers are not a problem. I am also Making a Custom head stay bracket the will unbolt from the frame. AS far as the Head Pipe I heard the DG one works with a simple cut removing 1.5" on the Silencer end. Im Hoping I can still use my new (3 month old) WB silencer. $70 for three spacers and a wiring Diagram who needs it when I can Get it all and if not more Advice and info here. many of you people have already been there done that. As of Now I am only in it for 1500 and that includes a Brand new 350x motor, carb, and cooler plucked from the ATC back in the day. Complete 400ex front end 350x rear end complete with Brakes and all and 2000 300ex frame with title. for under $2000 I can have a decent woods machine while Im not Riding MY 98 YZ 125 or MY 99 KX250.

Old 08-23-2002 | 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

Just be careful when using a 400EX or a 250R front end. I'm currently running the 250R front end. The frame rails for the upper A-Arms are closer together on the R and the 400EX so you will have some positive camber on your front end. It's not a big deal really and doesnt affect handling. If it does I haven't noticed it. Just be sure to check the ball joints every so often and make sure they're tight. I've been running this setup for a year now and have had zero problems, thats with racing motocross.

Old 08-26-2002 | 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

I don't get this one: "5. Decompression release use the Bracket from a XR500 that wraps around the top of the case."

Can you explain? I've been using the stock 350x cable. Of coourse my quad still isn't running right but I think that's a carb issue.

Old 08-27-2002 | 12:26 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

As you may know the exhause doesnt fit that well and it will rub up against the cable. From what I have read about the conversion I was told to use a XR500 Decopmression bracket down by the kicker. This is my whole reason for making a punch list on this conversion. to get all the right info and tips in one place. from what i heard about the powroll directions it is very vauge.

Old 09-10-2002 | 05:40 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

decompression release bracket Does anyone know what the bracket Part# is oir what machine it was from? I am sure someone know who bought the powroll kit Text

Old 09-11-2002 | 03:00 AM
Pro Rider

i have done this exact conversion.
i cut out a section of the motor mount on the rear of the motor itself. i did not trim the oil line bolt or notch the frame it is a tight fit but i have has zero problems going on four years with this conversion now.
i used the powroll exhaust after i made my own out of a dg head pipe and it kept breaking ,only to find out that this is common on 350x machines.
i used the stock 350x ignition,much easier to figure out and no non cuacasian engineering.
i mounted the oil cooler right above the left tire to the shock mount. perfect location.never had a problem ,it never gets dirty or full of mud oand no stone s thrown at it.
it was the most straight forward and simplistic conversion i've ever done.

Old 09-12-2002 | 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

I am looking to do this conversion as well, thanks for all the tips and keep them coming.

Quick Reply: TRX350X Conversionn