Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Need for Speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2000 | 11:08 PM
|
Trailblazer

Let us all drop the question of ATV top speed. I believe that this applies to the 12 - 16yr old age group who refuse to let go of the age old question. BORING!!!! Let us move on to more interesting technical topics.

Old 03-23-2000 | 01:32 PM
Range Rover

I understand your frustration with the top speed subject. Although it is a very important subject and is why everyone talks about it. What was the reasoning behind you buying that Banshee? The banshee that is set up for maximum top-end power. When you bought it, you new that the 400ex would do everything better except for the big top end rush did'nt you? I'll bet you want the DS650 now, don't you?

Old 03-23-2000 | 04:13 PM
Pro Rider

Top speed isnt as impressive as how fast yuou get there. Arm stretching acceleration is where its at! ANd that ds 650 is a turd! I saw one on NO2 and it was still slow. Build a bike that pulls untill you let off and you have my attention!!

Old 03-23-2000 | 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think that there are too many top speed and drag racing posts in this forum. How many people actually drag race or ride wide open 100% of the time. Give it a rest......
Suspension, handling and reliability are the most important topics. Power and speed can be added too any atv. It's more difficult to make them run forever, handle great, and do what each person wants them too do.
If a manufacture put a small car engine in a quad with no suspension and brakes. Half of the people in this forum would buy it. Because it would be the fastest in a strait line. Nevermind all that other stuff.

Chris 00' red rocket

Old 03-23-2000 | 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

cstark,
Amen to all you said. I think the majority of these posts are from very young riders who have never been taught what quads were designed to do. Therefore, due to lack of suitable terrain, they confine themselves to riding down the pavement (pavement???give me a break!) or on multiple- use roads where the only challenge is to wick it up & see how fast it goes (Ho_hum).
Don't misunderstand..I love to get on the gas as well or better than the next one but in some venue that tests my skill, or lack of, such as fast tech quad trails, tracks, or open country (read desert) with variable conditions & terrain.
In fairness to the kids, however, I believe we are somewhat to blame unless we take the time & expend the effort to teach or show them the real pleasure and the skill required to more or less master their machines. I do exactly that almost every weekend at our local OHV park, & I can tell you that there is as much as much satisfaction in seeing the kids improve & progress as in riding one's self. The only problem is that quite soon I have to look for another novice,because the last one ran off & left me in the roost.

Old 03-23-2000 | 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree, i have an ATC 200es and I love it but i needed more speed so i bought a 300EX. now i realive that i'm still way slower than alot of other quads but who cares this machine is awsome! I saved up for months and bought works shox and i love jumping, trail riding pretty much everything. plus im 15 all my freinds are getting in trouble with the law for drinking and stuff but im too busy to party cuz im at home wrenching on my quad. now all my money goes into my quad. this is the greatest sport in the world.
check out my trick 300ex at www.geocities.com/woodsrocket300ex

Crotchrocket300ex

Old 03-23-2000 | 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

[b]TEXT DELETED BY ATVBBS.
Please confine your remarks to your opinions regarding the topic & refrain from insulting name calling.

Old 03-24-2000 | 12:14 AM
Range Rover

Amen Crotchrocket. I believe ATV's are what saved me when I was your age. I have loved ATV's since my first one in '86. I wish everyone had one.I don't know why we always somehow get into the "my quad is faster than yours" but I think some of the people who start these"what sport quad is best" or "which is fastest" forums like to spark up this silly mess. I think that any ATV , any brand or speed would make just about any 12 yr. old kid happier than ever. I know I was when my Dad brought our 1986 TRX200SX home. Just a thought.

CT250R

Old 03-24-2000 | 11:27 AM
Range Rover

I agree with you, but I can't deny that I like a fast quad. A quad should make the person happy and wanting to enjoy it for the purpose they use it for. I personally laugh at all these guys with 4x4's, and wonder what is going through their minds when they see a 8 foot deep mudhole just wanting to eat their bike, if you can't tell I hate mud. I bought my little brother a 89 Moto 4 200 for christmas this year, and he rides the thing everyday, tired of him asking me for gas money, I think I should move from next door so I can save my money. He's 14 and he has ridden a friend of mine's 400ex and he wants one bad, because of the speed, power, and suspension, but he always gets back on his little 200 and rides. He's probably going to buy a used Warrior this summer, so he can try to stay with us when we go riding. Speed comes in handy for some things, especially in the way I like to ride. Later

Old 03-25-2000 | 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I have to agree with you guys totally! I too asked alot of questions on these forums about performance and about 100 other littler details. It was basically to choose the perfact quad for me...which happens to be a Polaris Scrambler 400. I could care less about top speed...of coarse I want to be very fast but it's the acceleration that counts and the overall ride. ATV'ing has basically saved my life too. I own a buisness and work from 8 a.m. to about 12 p.m. every day...so when I go out in the woods it's the one and only place that doesn't make me think of the buisness.

The ATV is God's second best creation...after women!