Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

turbo-ing a quad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys im going to turbo a quad. i want to know which one would be better to turbo either a 2stroke or a 4stroke. i feel like the 2 stroke would be better b/c you have no valves or cams to replace. what about you guys/ girls? thanks

Old 09-11-2002, 06:46 PM
Range Rover

Personally I think it is alot safer and cheaper to turbo a 4 stroke. Since most of them use a rev box of some sort and stand up to knock a lot better than a 2 stroke will. There is no need to change valves and cams etc just for forced induction Unless you plan on running a stupid amount of boost.
But I hope your up for a lot of tunning. Dialing in a homemade turbo conversion is not easy.
a few things you will need a are a turbo controller ,F/A meter , Fuel pump etc etc.

Old 09-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

On a 4-stroke you will have to run 15-20 psi or it wont be worth your time or money to do. There just isn't anymore more power at 8psi than a big bore with all the goodies. I know because I have a turbo charged raptor.

Something to consider is will the transmission and clutch take the HIT that the turbo creates when the boost come on.

On a 2-stroke will the crank seals hold to the psi the turbo creates??? Hmmm I dont know

Old 09-11-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

ok my plans were to do this too a 300cc tecate 4, and use a 14b and intercooler off the first generation eclipse. and getting a boost gauge and boost controller are no problem. and im not worried about all the custom work.

vilnrk- what was included in your raptor turbo kit? or was yours homemade as well? thanks

Old 09-12-2002, 01:09 AM
Range Rover

if you already have the 14b Mistu turbo thats fine but that is a heavy massive unit ! I know I am a DSM owner. A turbo from say twin turbo car or chevy sprint/firefly is a lot smaller and even a sprint turbo will push 22-25psi.

Old 09-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

NEMISIS

What I have is a kit you or anyone for that matter can buy. LINK This is what I have.(that is not my bike) It all fits very well, heck you cant even tell that it is even turbo charged just by looking at it. The turbo used for this kit is manufactured by Aerodyne and is an aerocharger. The turbo is not too big although my wife had one of the mercury capri XR2 little turbo charged cars and I had to replace the turbo on it at 90,000 mile and I would say that this aerocharger is close to that in size just for referance. The kit is not intercooled. It comes setup at 8psi (this is the max psi my gage showed before I started tweaking the turbo)

One thing you need to consider is the intake plenum. If you are building a blow through design then you need to have a plenum for the turbo to connect to I guess the piping from the intercooler for that matter and then this plenum connects to the carb.
PLENUM

Take a look at the PLENUM link. Go ahead and check out the rest of the pics too. You might get some ideas. Good luck keep us posted as how it goes.
turbo bobby

Old 09-12-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the info.

hardlydangerous- i dont know if your on this site. but dsmtalk is a great place to get info and just talk about dsm's.

Old 09-12-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

what does that plenum do?

Old 09-12-2002, 01:24 PM
Range Rover

<< thanks for the info.

hardlydangerous- i dont know if your on this site. but dsmtalk is a great place to get info and just talk about dsm's.
>>

Thanks but I am already a member DSMtalk and have been for years Also MachV and DSM.org
See ya there.

Old 09-12-2002, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

on the 2stroke this idea wouldnt effect the powers valves would it? thanks

hardlydangerous- whats your screen name on dsmtalk.com and what model eclipse do you own.

Quick Reply: turbo-ing a quad?