Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Blue and white smoke all the sudden help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2002, 07:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue and white smoke all the sudden help!!!

The first thing I would do is check the compression. Next make sure your gear box is at the correct level.
Keep an eye on the oil level in the gear box. If it drops your crank seals are bad. If not it could be in the carb . Dirty needle/seat sticking float. Try some of these ideas and let us know your results.

Old 10-20-2002, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

all 2 strokes smoke when you get on the gas..its blue smoke too. i would say don't worry about it because its normal for a 2 stroke to do that.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hardlydangerous.

How do I test a Blaster injector?
Neighbor girl got a used Blaster and it siezed solid after about 3 weeks.It has oil in the tank although I don't know what kind/brand.

I'm gonna tear it down and fix it but I want to be sure that the injector is working.thx

Old 10-21-2002, 01:51 AM
Range Rover

2 ways

The one thing I always do is replace the black lines with clear fuel lines so you can see the oil flowing. I don't use cheapt-do lines though as they always become hard and crack.

1) remove the clutch cover, remove the drive gear for the pump, hook up the lines to the oil tank and bleed the pump. using a drill on the drive shaft spin the pump and check to make sure it is flowing oil ( make sure you are spinning the pump in the right direction). if there is no flow the pump is no good

2)Drain the fuel tank first, remove the oil feed line to the carb and drain it. put it back on and bleed the pump to make sure there are no air bubble or air locks (make sure the line to the carb is empty)
mix a small amount of mixed fuel (40:1) and dump it into the fuel tank. Now just start the bike and check to see if there is oil flow to the carb. with clear lines it will be easy to see

Old 10-21-2002, 06:37 AM
Trailblazer

What type of injector oil are you using ? I am using Yamalube and it does smoke alot until it has warmed up and then it stops.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-21-2002, 03:43 PM
Range Rover

I use Amsoil products.

toomedbashee.
I can’t argue with that, I have seen brand new sleds roll back into the shop that blew up after the first ride or after the first week of riding. That is very possible. Usually the dealer fault though. One thing to remember about these shops and dealerships that uncrate these ATVs, sleds etc... The head mechanics usually do not put these machines together, they may look over a few, but usually it is the new guys, co-op students and trainees that do this kind of work. Forgetting to bleed and test the injection system before it goes out is simple enough and often overlooked. Many of these machines are never run before they go out the door and if they are run it is just for 1or 2 minutes.

A good shop will run the engine, perform a leak down test and check the compression many times before it is ever sold. They first mix fuel and test the injection system, check for leaks and fine tune the engine and run it threw several heat cycles. Check the torque on all nuts and bolts. After several short test rides and heat cycles the machines are then prepped for sale, this includes draining the fuel tank and changing the fluids and spark plugs, lubing the chain, etc.
Our shop used to put about 15- 20 minutes of run time on each machine before it went out the door just to cover our own butts. This way we can test it for air leaks, compression, re-torque all nuts and bolts, test the jetting, test all safety switches, check injector systems and adjust, This way when the customer picks up there new machine they can be sure it has properly been run in, and tested. Personally I have never had one of my own engine fail or had one from our shop return. But I have replaced new engines in new machines from other shops that did not take the time to go over the engine properly.

Again....Had the shop tested the bike properly they would have know the injection system was bad or not working properly before you picked it up.

Old 11-09-2002, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

that is kinda funny that you say oil injection kits are time bombs...considering i have 2 jet ski's from 1987 and 1991 that have NEVER failed, and a 97 sea doo which has also never failed! even though i neglect the sea doo, i agree with the operator error statement, injection systems are usually very simple, it would take neglect to make them fail

Old 12-15-2002, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

2-strok=blue smoke